Solved! Asus g73jh

KuruptOwnz

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Hey all, I have a quick question. I was thinking about upgrading my CPU from the I7 1.73ghz to something with a little more power. Is it a) possible with this particular Laptop or B) is there something more comparable to make it faster?

Thanks All!

Solution
that laptop only has 1 option that is faster. and its barely faster. you wouldnt notice the difference. play with your settings so that it uses turbo boost more. its turbo frequency is 2.93GHz which is quite fast. your processor is a i7-740QM if you want to look it up.

other things will likely make it faster, easier and for less. but need some info.
how much ram does it have? more will often make your system faster.
what programs do you use? and are they at the same time.
how full is your hard drive? you could swap it out with an ssd for way faster load times.
have you taken off the crapware that comes with the computer? if not "decrapifier" is a great program for removing those things.
if its old you could run defrag, though win...

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
that laptop only has 1 option that is faster. and its barely faster. you wouldnt notice the difference. play with your settings so that it uses turbo boost more. its turbo frequency is 2.93GHz which is quite fast. your processor is a i7-740QM if you want to look it up.

other things will likely make it faster, easier and for less. but need some info.
how much ram does it have? more will often make your system faster.
what programs do you use? and are they at the same time.
how full is your hard drive? you could swap it out with an ssd for way faster load times.
have you taken off the crapware that comes with the computer? if not "decrapifier" is a great program for removing those things.
if its old you could run defrag, though win 7 doesn't let it get too bad.

Solution

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
There are a few options as I have a G73JH and do know that the 920XM or 940XM (Extreme Edition CPU's) work well and cam be overclocked on all 4 cores to 3.0-3.2 GHz. You can pickup a 920XM ES (Engineering Sample) for under $300 on ebay. Before you undertake this task please P.M. me and and I can give you information and resources you will need.

The G73JH can also have the GPU upgraded to 6970m as Thanatospy successfully did over on another site. The G73JH is a remarkable laptop that may allow for upgrades for years to come.