Asus GL551JM-DH71 on Windows 7?

baba111

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
Hi all,

I recently acquired Asus GL551JM-DH71. It comes preinstalled with Win 8.1

I would like to "downgrade" to Win 7, I do not like Win 8 at all... I went to ASUS website, but it says there they have no drivers for Win 7 for the laptop. Is the laptop even Win 7 compatible or should I just stick with Win 8?

Everything in the computer is "factory bought", no changes have been made... I'm guessing I'd need drivers for motherboard/chipset, graphic card, sound card, network...? Problem is, I'm not that tech savvy, so I cant even figure out what motherboard is in there.

Where and how (if possible, do they even exist?) can I find the drivers for Win 7 that I need for this laptop to run the way its supposed to? Is there a website?

Really appreciate all your help, thank you in advance.

Railhound

Estimable
Dec 28, 2014

I am trying to do the same thing only with a different model. Let me know how you make out. I have contacted Asus to see what they say. I will post back with any answers I get.

River St-Grey

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015

Did you ever end up having some success with this? I've been compiling my drivers for 'upgrading' to Win7 from 8, but it would help me in being prepared to know how you fared.

AbdullahTshabal

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
Windows 8 drivers will work on Windows 7. I know because I also have an Asus GL551JM-DH71 on which I put Windows 7 and most of the drivers are for Windows 8 (the F-keys, touchpad, WiFi and the Intel HD4600). They operated without issue. I even have the same drivers installed on an older Samsung laptop which also has Windows 7 installed on it.