Asus k50 going to apply thermal paste, help

sackynuts

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
So my old K50 has been heating up, Im getting it a new fan, but I also got some arctic for the heatsinks on the CPU and GPU.

Ive watched plenty of vids and read articles on how to do it. I just want some basics.
How much is too much? How much is too little? Whats the proper technique for putting the heatsink back on?

What if a little thermal paste happens to leak out of the seal, is that bad, will it decrease cooling?]

Basically, how do I get maximum thermal dissipation/cooling from applying thermal paste?

Thanks! Look forward to replies, thanks in advance too.
-sack

It may take more than one time trying. Using too much thermal compound is bad, using too little is bad. The best method I've found is to apply as thin of a layer as possible over the CPU. Take your time. Start with a BB size blob or smaller.
Laptops also use thermal pads, when removing the HSF, note where the thermal pads are (little black, blue or white rubbery squares), be sure to replace them when reassembling. I have been told that if one is careful, the thermal pads can be reused, I have had no such luck in laptops and have gotten in the habit of replacing the thermal pads.
When reattaching the HSF, the screw mounts are numbered (on some models all HSF screw mounts are numbered on others, only the mounts around the CPU are numbered) so you know the tightening order - screw it down snug, then tighten.
As I said, it may take more than one try to get it down right. Monitor your temps, you will get it...
Take your time