Asus K53sv usbs not working correctly?

Gabegomez1994

Honorable
May 1, 2013
I have had this laptop for almost 2 years now, and recently the usb's have started acting funny. In one port I have my bose sound system connected, and in the other I have my mouse connected. When I am using my computer, my mouse will occasionally stop working for a few moments, then chime the tone when a new usb device is inserted and work again. It will keep doing this for a while until the mouse eventually doesnt work anymore, and at that point nothing comes out of my bose speakers either. I have tried reinstalling drivers and updating them, but so far there has been no progress made. I have read that when all of the usbs stop working at once, it is due to a motherboard problem, and I am hoping that is not the case. If I unplug the devices that use usb ports, then plug them back in around half an hour later, they work again, but will do the same thing. Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

ratedk

Distinguished
If you use the USB mouse only, or the USB sound card only, does the problem still exist? Many times the issue lies with an individual USB device. When a device starts to go bad, it could be shorting the USB ports causing exactly what you've described. Eliminate the individual devices as the problem before assuming its the MoBo (but it still could be...).

Check all the USB ports for missing pieces. I've seen to many with missing plastics and the pins get shoved against the edges of the port, causing them to ground when they shouldn't - creating all kinds of weird issues.

Gabegomez1994

Honorable
May 1, 2013

But, if it were a motherboard problem, would the usb ports be working at all? S:

Gabegomez1994

Honorable
May 1, 2013

I have deducted that it is not any of the usb ports or devices, I have tested out different ports and tried the devices on another laptop and they work fine. The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling windows 7, but I don't want to do that until I have tried every other method possible due to the fact that reinstalling all of my music production programs and such would take forever.

Sure. Hardware failures can come as intermittent, and quite often, do.

ratedk

Distinguished

+1 Prostar

It will continue intermittently until complete failure occurs.