Asus K55A Wireless card

Scottlocks

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I have a Asus K55A, modded to have 8GB of ram(from 4GB) and a 250GB Samsung 840 series SSD(from a Hitachi 500GB 5400RPM). I want to upgrade the wireless card as my school's wireless network is not the best. Let alone i would like to have Dual band at home.

my current wireless card is: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485, i want to upgrade/replace it with a Intel Centrino 6235, how would i go about doing this and is it possible?

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi,
If you want to "upgrade" your wireless card the best thing to do on a laptop it to buy a usb wireless.

But then if you school only has wireless g and you buy a wireless n card, you won't gain any speeds.

I don't think you can do much to improve the connectivity because the network in school might be slowed because of too many users.

Scottlocks

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Im on a wired connection at school at the moment, I dont think its them having to many users, I constantly get 100+Mbps down, and 50 Mbps up. I know the 2.4Ghz band at my school is clogged and we do have the 5Ghz band(phone picks it up). I dont have many USB ports (3 in total). I loose stuff often. Is the internal wireless card just able to be taken out and replaced?
When i open the access panel, the wireless card is right there, not a huge deal to take out or put back in.

brownaar

Honorable
May 19, 2013

I am interested in doing this. Did the new Intel adapter work for you?
Thanks