Asus laptop drops public wifi connection randomly at work

mattyHook94

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
Hi i recently inherited an old notebook the Asus s200e which has had a solid state drive added to replace the hard disc. The wifi won't connect to the gsk public wifi for very long with it dropping out first with the computer saying there is a limited connection/ no internet then it disconnects completely. Trying to reconnect the wifi connection disappears then a emblem with a red cross appears were the wifi should be and follows with unable to connect to the wifi. The computer work perfectly fine at home. I have not tried other public wifi yet. I run Kaspersky total security the latest build and windows 10.

I have scoured the web trying a host of suggestions yet no fix. The laptop will reconnect only if it is put into sleep mode or rebooted and the loop begins again.

Any advice or fixes would be greatly appreciated as I need the internet to complete my job as a researcher.

Thanks in advance.
Mathew Hookham

Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

Also, please note, on some 'public' or open WiFi they will restrict your access, and even boot you out of it, if you say are downloading a lot, or playing games, etc. There are always restrictions to consider.

Feb 14, 2018
Hello , I have exactly same problem like you , and I tried many many networks because I'm staying at hotels often , my wifi never dropping out at home or at any network with username and password , but every network where it takes you to website to log in it just keep dropping out every 10minutes or something I u have put computer to sleep mode and turn on again , anybody know solution I have asus X550C laptop