asus laptop freezing/restarting while playing games

binksowns

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
my asus laptop has recently started freezing/instantly restarting when playing games i used to play fine.(such as league of legends,RE5 and borderlands the pre sequl)
when it freezes the screen will get glitchy and sometimes make glitchy sounds.
all i can do then is hold the power button til it powers off.
heres some pictures i took of that happening - http://imgur.com/a/QoSaH
the first and 3rd pictures are my 2nd monitor.
when im playing the games and this happens my GPU temp is around 70, the fps is fine and solid, and the game play has no choppiness.
i can watch videos streams and browse the internet with not problem.

any help will be appreciated thank you for your time.

Brighttail

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
First thing I would do is reinstall the latest drivers for video, sound. Then I would check for any BIOS updates and get those things out of the way to make sure there aren't any conflicts or issues.

Just cause your CPU is at 70C do you have any idea what your GPU temp is at? That could be running too hot. HOw is the circulation within your laptop for air? Do you know the motherboard or interior temps.

I ask all this cause usually when you get this without a blue screen it means the GPU just froze up and we gotta find out why.

binksowns

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
ok well i installed the latest drivers for video and sound already. i cant figure out how to update bios i looked up some tutorials still couldnt get it. and as for the gpu temp thats what i wrote not the cpu temp.
also i my laptop freeze up again last night while just watching a stream if that helps at all

Brighttail

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
The Bios you need to go to the Asus website, look up the laptop, go to drivers download.. go into the bios section and download that file on to a flash drive. Then you go into bios with the drive inserted and update it there. Alternatively your laptop may have a SUITE or something that will allow you to do it from windows it self.

It really sounds like the GPU is overheating and stopping. So how is your airflow to the laptop? You have it on a hard surface? Are the fans spinning crazily on the inside where you hear them going all the time? Are the vents cleaned out?

binksowns

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
i come with more intel. if i were to shake my laptop or kick my desk pretty much anything to move it rapidly
it will instantly restart. not sure if that helps at all