ASUS laptop not working with hotel wifi

Pauldavias

Estimable
May 8, 2015
I am trying to get my ASUS laptop to connect to hotel wifi (iPhone is connecting straight away no problem), when I connect to wifi it comes up and has 'limited connectivity'. I then try to open google chrome and IE but the both just freeze until the connection drops back off. When I connect with my iPhone, it is an open network and it takes me to a page where I have to input a username and password - this is what I can't get to on the laptop. Laptop is running windows 8, I never have problems with connecting to other networks where I input the password on connecting - please help!!

Solution
Hello Pauldavias

If you have not done yet, can you please check if the wireless NIC of your laptop that is responsible for connecting your laptop to the Wi-Fi connections is configured to obtain the IP address automatically? Here is how you can do this:

Step 01 - On your Windows 8/Windows 7 desktop screen, press Windows + R keys together.

Step 02 - In the available field in the Run command box, type the NCPA.CPL command and press Enter.

Step 03 - In the Network Connections window, right-click the network interface card.

Step 04 - Click Properties from the context menu.

Step 05 - From the opened wireless NIC's properties box, from the displayed list, click to select Internet...
Hello Pauldavias

If you have not done yet, can you please check if the wireless NIC of your laptop that is responsible for connecting your laptop to the Wi-Fi connections is configured to obtain the IP address automatically? Here is how you can do this:

Step 01 - On your Windows 8/Windows 7 desktop screen, press Windows + R keys together.

Step 02 - In the available field in the Run command box, type the NCPA.CPL command and press Enter.

Step 03 - In the Network Connections window, right-click the network interface card.

Step 04 - Click Properties from the context menu.

Step 05 - From the opened wireless NIC's properties box, from the displayed list, click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).

Step 06 - After selecting, click the Properties button.

Step 07 - On the opened box, if not already selected, click to select the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically radio buttons and click OK.

If the issue persists, try using the Diagnose option that appears in the context menu of the wireless network interface card (NIC). Here is how you can do this:

Step 01 - From the Network Connections window, right-click the icon of the wireless NIC again.

Step 02 - From the context menu, click Connect / Disconnect and connect the laptop to the hotel Wi-Fi as you normally do. (Don't worry about the Limited Connectivity message for now.)

Step 03 - After the laptop connects to the Wi-Fi, right-click the NIC again and choose Diagnose this time.

Step 04 - Wait till the diagnose process completes successfully and the laptop connects to the wireless connection (without Limited Connectivity).

Let me know if this works. :)

Solution

austin514

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015

I have the same problom and diagnose ses (wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration)

Jay_62

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
After 4 hours of reading other threads and trying to get it to work and even spending an hour on the phone with my corporate IT, your solution is the only thing that worked. Thank you sooo much!!! :bounce:

Guillaume_3

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

Not working.

Any suggestion?