Asus Laptop only goes to BIOS.

astromin1

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014
Asus Laptop D550c
windows 8

Today, I turn on my laptop and it gets stuck in this never ending loop of checking disk. So i decide to turn it off and try to do a windows 8 refresher through the f9 command... lone behold i attempt to do that and it says an error encountered while trying to do this... it resets and now the laptop only can go to BIOS i cant boot off of cd, nothing at all. any help would be great. ive come to a conclusion that the hard drive is probably bad. ive tried everything in the book to try and do something to get the laptop working again but i just have run out of ideas.

fkr

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
you could try and use a thumb drive to load a linux OS then recover whatever you can

this would also confirm that you HDD is shot. or plug the HDD into another computer and test it that way

Ki1lian

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
I am having this same issue with an asus x551 that i bought on ebay with a cracked digitizer. It did not come with an hdd so i pulled a working one from my desktop. I have tried booting from disk as well as a flash drive, but it immediately goes back to bios everytime, in boot device options it also want me to manually add boot paths, i have not encountered this before, its mostly self explanatory, but the bios/pc does recognize both the dvdrom and the hdd, but cant get out of this loop. Please help

Ki1lian

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
I finally got it, Secure boot MUST be disabled, on one of the tabs in bios you must scroll down to find this option, then after power on i got asus splash screen and tapping F2 into bios and all boot options are now available, hope this helps!