Asus laptop won't play sound through HDMI on Samsung Tv

ironhide15

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014
I have an Asus laptop N550j and I have a samsung smart tv and I have played sound from my old HP laptop and it worked through the same HDMI cable to my tv, but my new Asus does not play through it on my tv. I have tried reinstalling the drivers for the audio and that worked once and tried doing it again but it did not work. I have also tried playing sound through a different tv but that did not work either. Any suggestions would be helpful thank you. The Asus laptop is Windows 8 and the HP laptop was Windows 7. Not sure if that is the problem or not. Also, the audio playback manager also does not even recognize the tv. Thank you.

Jan 9, 2015
I have the same laptop and have had the same problem for the past year. I just found a solution this last Christmas when my family was messing around with it and trying to get it to work. It is a hassle still but it works for me now. We realized tat if the hdmi is plugged into the TV and you restart the computer with the hdmi cable still plugged in when the computer restarts the sound will play through the TV.

It's a hassle because once you unplug it you have to restart the computer again. For some reason the laptop doesnt recognize the TV as a speaker unless you restart the computer. Anyway, I hope this works if you haven't found a solution yet or for those others who may come along with the same problem.

ASUS Q550L notebook: Asus 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i7 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Q550LF-BSI7T21 - Best Buy HDMI sound not playing on TV. HDMI Picture coming through but no sound.

andya48

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
go to sound manager(playback devices) and set hdmi device as a default output for it.
if it doesnt recognise/doesnt shows, uninstall/reinstall/update ur gpu drivers.
if still no luck, try whether u r able to connect by a bootable live linux(ubuntu remastered preferred) distribution, if yes, then we can surely resolve the issue through some software doodling, else it might be ur bad luck(hardware problem/limitations).
reply if u still doesnt able to.

arapap

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

arapap

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
I was have troubles with this connection and found that the HDMI cable has a direction. I reversed the cable (TV end into computer & computer end into TV) and it worked.

AubergineSama

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

OMG YOU'RE A HERO, at first I didn't believe it but I was so desperate I tried anyway and IT WORKED! It does have a direction THANK YOU! xD