ASUS laptop won't turn on. No lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISandraG

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
My ASUS V301L laptop won't turn on and no lights are showing.

This happened after I held down the power button while the computer was restarting. I also had my phone connected via USB cord at the time.

I've tested the charger, and it's working.

I've tried holding down the power button for 30+ seconds. I've done this several times, but literally nothing happens. I've also left the laptop overnight and tried again.

I can't remove the battery and I can't find any sort of reset button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help:
  1. First, make sure to disconnect all the cables and drivers connected to the laptop.
  2. Start by doing a hard reboot: Unplug the AC adapter, then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Then, try booting it up again.
  3. Next is to try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will boot up or not.
  4. Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work. Remove them all for a couple of seconds then put them back in, making sure everything is seated properly.
  5. If it still does not work, connect an external monitor and see if you get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor, that could mean...
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help:
  1. First, make sure to disconnect all the cables and drivers connected to the laptop.
  2. Start by doing a hard reboot: Unplug the AC adapter, then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Then, try booting it up again.
  3. Next is to try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will boot up or not.
  4. Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work. Remove them all for a couple of seconds then put them back in, making sure everything is seated properly.
  5. If it still does not work, connect an external monitor and see if you get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor, that could mean that the problem is the built-in display.
  6. But if there's still no display on the external monitor, the problem might be the motherboard.
  7. If the laptop is still under the factory warranty, do contact ASUS for a repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
G

Hey guys,

I agree with Laptop_Nerds troubleshooting techniques. You may want to try disconnecting the internal battery molex connector. This will work better for holding down the power button for 20 seconds as this will properly discharge any corrupted power or cache.
Make sure your power adapter is properly plugged in. (nothing in the power port, power port is not disconnected from the motherboard etc.)
I would go to a local geek squad and try out their power adapters as well. Different outlet and power adapter certified by ASUS may increase your chances.
Because your warranty has expired doesn’t mean there’s no hope. When you send in your unit ASUS will quote you for the repair and then you will have the choice to accept or not.
I hope this helps. Good Luck and let us know how your repairs go!

http://www.asus.com/us/support/

ISandraG

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Good news! On a whim, I plugged my laptop in. The charging light came on, I hit the power button and the laptop's working perfectly again.

I'm not sure what fixed it. I did reseat the RAM last week, but that didn't seem to fix anything at the time. I didn't feel confident enough to try the other suggestions on my own.

Pam_25

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

suzymgs

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017

suzymgs

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
Holding power button down for 20 sec as suggested above ,did help me with my problem . Thank goodness ,it's fairly brand new haven't used it but handful of times. An by now my warranty is out ,,I thought I was out of luck ... After reading this an following the instructions ,I was up an moving . So much thanks !!!

naclo3samuel

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018

You, Sir, are a saviour.

stardust14701

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018

How did you remove the RAM?
Did you have to disassemble the computer?

eastsidewa

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Feb 12, 2018

This is also what I had to do just now. Glad you guys were here!

Feb 14, 2018
SOLVED!

I am so happy that I fixed my computer so I really wanted to share with everyone my method!

I have a Asus Zenbook UX303LN laptop that did not turn on all of a sudden for no reason. The power adapter & battery were working and the power light turned on, but the fan/CPU/hard drive did not so the computer did not boot up at all. I tried all the methods I found online (up to the point I was considering doing a motherboard reflow myself) UNTIL a computer friend told me this:

1. First unplug and take out the battery. Please the power key for ten seconds then plug in power adapter and try turning it on
2. If it doesn't work, then unplug again, and reseat the RAM. Then plug in and try turning on again.
3. If it doesn't work, then unplug again, and locate the CMOS battery* in your laptop. Unplug the CMOS battery carefully and wait for 2 minutes before plugging it back in. Then plug power and try turning it on.

***My CMOS was right next to my harddrive and looks like a black round button that was wrapping in black tape. It had "KTS XXXXX 3.0V" written on it. The 3.0V helps you verify that this is the CMOS battery.

Step 3 worked for me, so if you are running into the same issue, I hope this method can help you too!

Feb 17, 2018

Thank you, this worked for me, too (Asus X554L). But more importantly: what causes this to happen and how to prevent it? I've had this happen to me 3x during the past week. I even paid to have it serviced, but I guess that was a terrible mistake since the hard reboot did exactly the same job...

Mar 6, 2018

Thank you a lot!! Just started college yesterday and it stopped working, fixed it with the Hard reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.