Solved! Asus laptop

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Ok, I see. So Sandy bridge is for the CPU? Do u know when they're coming out? And what the price range will be? I want to get a good laptop, and i dont really have a budget right now, as im going to have to earn the money for the laptop. Just so you know what im looking around, i dont want to have to spend more than $2000. Give or take maybe a few hundred dollars depending on how good it is. And I'm not really an expert with computers, so could you just briefly explain what an IGP is? Thanks so much for your time!

Yes,Sandy bridge are the next gen Intel CPUs.
SB notebooks should be available from late March I think.If you wait,you can buy a very powerful laptop within your price range.
And IGP = Integrated Graphic Processors,which comes with SB CPUs.They aren't very powerful but are fine for low-end gaming,watching/converting videos.

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

IGP means Integrated graphics processor which are inbuilt in processors.If the laptop supports it when you want to save power it switches off the deicated GPU and starts the IGP giving you a better battery life.The new i7 processors have Intel HD 3000 IGP which are equivalent to ATI HD5470 or NVIDIA GT310M.

If i were you i would have got the sager np8130 from sager and customised it to this config....

15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM, 2.3-3.4GHz, (32nm, 8MB L3 cache)
16GB DDR3 1333Mhz
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Software
500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS Purchase
1812$
If you want blu ray drive you can shed 4gb ram for this same price or get it for additional 70 bucks.

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
ok now idk wut to get.................... Lol. I pretty much want the best laptop i can get for within my price range. Im probably gonna be getting it around June/July, which is a good 5-6 months from now... So if anythings coming out within that time, i can wait.

Fadekyn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
There also may be better video cards released around the July/August time. So you might be able to get a better deal on an "older card" that happens to be new or newish right now.

In your scenario, odds are that at your price range SB will become the default chipset. So you probably won't have to worry about that choice come June/July. The good thing for you is that all versions of SB should be released by then.