Asus laptops

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I am going to be looking at laptops soon because I start college in the fall. I can't help but notice the ASUS laptops on newegg and how attractive the systems are for the price!

What i'd like to find out is how decent are ASUS laptops? I've seen no bad bad reviews on them, but I'm skeptical because ASUS laptops aren't a very common type of laptop.

I've also been interested in HP and Dell laptops, so can someone tell me how ASUS compares to these two companies' products?

Personally, I don't exactly know what I want in a laptop. I don' t plan on doing heavy gaming, but I think it would be nice to have a dedicated video card and possibly hook it up to my LCD tv. A dual core is inevitable and I'd like to spend less than $1k, but that's pretty much it.

Thanks

T.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
well, i'm looking at the F3SA-A1 and A2, the F3SV-x4, and the F3KA-x3. Those are all within my price range, have a dedicated graphics card, and a 15.4 inch screen.

Those all look quite good to me.

also, have I posted in the wrong forum? I noticed that this site says 'UK and Ireland forum', and I'm from the US... ?

Thanks...

T.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
As for the models you presented, it's mostly a battle between the first three (the last one is AMD Turion X2 based, which is less powerful than the Core 2 Duo.)

The first one, the F3SA-A1 is good except in two regards, the screen, which is only WXGA is 1280 by 800, which is decent, but not great. Seconds, it only has 1 gig of RAM. It does, however, have Lightscribe technology for the optical drive, though how much you use that is your own decision.

The second, the A2, has 2 gigs of ram, which is good, but still the same screen. It doesn't have Lightscribe. I'd pick this over the first one.

The third one, the F3SV-x4 has a good WSXGA screen, 1680 by 1050 I think is what's normal for that. It only has 1 gig of ram though, so you'd probably have to buy some and add your own. Also, the 8600m GS is weaker than the HD 2600 in terms of gaming, but only slightly.

I'm not sure which one you should get. If you don't need the high resolution, get the A2, which is a good blend of performance. I'm kinda iffy on suggesting the first or the third, because of the weaker initial hardware. However, if you need a good screen, you'll have to get the F3SV-x4, or another alternative if you can find one.

Killah_Kal88

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Keep in mind certain models include Accidental coverage and/or 3 years limited warranty in comparison to 2 years in retail.

Depending on the type of user you are, ASUS would be an great choice for gamers and people who deals with 3d modeling/rendering.

On top of that, ASUS has GREAT RESELL VALUE. This is important if you plan to upgrade your lappy in a couple of years.

DELL have really low resell value and it is extremely hard to sell. However, if you decide to go with Dell I would suggest you go for the Dell Vostro lineup. Those laptops are made for durability (Magnesium Alloy vs plastic + spill-resistant keys) and the prices in comparison to the Inspiron is much more reasonable.

Because HP is mainly composed of plastic, it is lightweight but the downside to that is it runs pretty hot. Their prices are also in the lower-ranges.

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I got a F3 series laptop and i have been using it for alomost year and it works flawlessly sometimes it works straight 24hrs withour problem.It's good for rough use also. But only thing lacking for me is the battery life. Perfermonce is good comapring to similer spec builds.