Solved! Asus N550JK Black Screen

Nov 28, 2018
I know this has been brought up a billion times.

Asus N550JK screen randomly works on extremely rare conditions.
If it boots up and works, it works until I power down. Always displays to A TV just fine with use of an HDMI cord.

I tore the dumb thing apart and no ribbons were loose, nothing looked damaged either.

This problem started after it powered off during a lovely windows update. For months it would boot into the asus loading screen and get caught in a loop. After tons of messing around, updated the bios, generic monitor, intel, and nvida drivers. Got the screen to sometimes display in safe mode.

I'm tired of using this thing hooked up to a TV. Any more idea's?

Solution
You probably wouldn't "see" anything wrong with the display cable ribbon in most cases. The wires tend to break INSIDE the sheathing. It would have been wise to replace the ribbon cable while you had it apart as that is OFTEN the problem on most laptops since it is subjected to being bent back and forth repeatedly throughout it's life. Try that with a piece of wire and see what happens.

If the ribbon is not to blame, then it is likely the panel itself and unless you can find one for a terrific price AND the cable was NOT the problem, probably not worth it these days unless it's a very expensive unit that would run a lot more to replace than to fix AND is still new enough to make it worth it but no longer under warranty.

Since it...
You probably wouldn't "see" anything wrong with the display cable ribbon in most cases. The wires tend to break INSIDE the sheathing. It would have been wise to replace the ribbon cable while you had it apart as that is OFTEN the problem on most laptops since it is subjected to being bent back and forth repeatedly throughout it's life. Try that with a piece of wire and see what happens.

If the ribbon is not to blame, then it is likely the panel itself and unless you can find one for a terrific price AND the cable was NOT the problem, probably not worth it these days unless it's a very expensive unit that would run a lot more to replace than to fix AND is still new enough to make it worth it but no longer under warranty.

Since it always works on an external display but almost never works on it's own panel, I doubt very much that the problem is anything other than a bad cable or bad panel.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS