Asus N56VM Laptop turns on, and thats it

nightcrawer105

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Hi.
I have a Asus N56VM Laptop with Windows 8 Pro. i have owned this laptop for 2 months, and its been a nightmare. When i first purchased it, it came wih Windows 7 Home Premium. I had to reinstall it 3 times due to problems, and its never really been 100%. On friday, i downloaded windows 8 pro for £14.99 (as part of the windows 8 upgrade program) and everything was working fine, until this morning.

I was reading something on Amazon and the computer turned-off for no reason. This is the first time anything like that has happened, and i was completely puzzled - to what actully caused it? So, i switched my computer back-on, thinking it would be ok. Well, the computer won't boot? it does switch-on and all the leds light-up, even the power button lights-up. But thats all it does?

I have left my computer on for 3 hours just to see if boots, apart from the cpu fans working, nothing happens and the screen is blank, and remains blank. Also, the optical drive is stuck in an endless loop? it is trying to search for a disc, although no disc is inserted. It does this every 30 seconds.

Now for he strangest issue of all. I have pressed the power button for 10 seconds while the computer is on, it just turns off and makes a loud clicking noise. i try to switch it back on, it does it again and again until the battery is pulled. it stops the clicking noise, but my computer still won't boot? I can't enter bios mode with Alt + F2 i hear the fan - but thats it.

Can anyone please help.

peterfrenchsa

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Very strange - I rebooted my N56VM this morning and it wont boot either... I restarted Windows and it powered off, never to come on again - yet LED's are on and power button is illuminated. I am running Windows 7 still...

nightcrawer105

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

This seems to be a problem with the N56VM Series. I've read about this on some other websites, and a few users have had a lot of issues. I contacted Asus, and they couldn't tell me what the problem were. They have told me to send it to them or repair.

nightcrawer105

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Sorry for the very late reply, i've been really busy and had to wait for some spare ram from a mate. We checked and installed 4GB (X2 2GB) of ram this afternoon. it didn't work, and we tried the Asus ram in his HP Laptop, the ram works in the HP. So, i'm thinking it could be some other problem with my Asus.

There was a clicking noise coming from the hard drive when it was working. and it as always been like this from purchase. The last thing i remember was a strange grinding disc sound, 2 seconds before the computer turned-off. I'm not sure if the hard drive has died? but the screen won't power-on, but i connected the laptop to a external monitor - no luck, Unfortunately.

I have contacted Asus, and they told me to send it to them for repair. i have never dealt with them before, so i'm quite worried if they try to charge me.

i don't know much about laptops, so if anyone else has any ideas, please leave a post.

nightcrawer105

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

You could be right. But the thing is, would hard drive failure stop the laptop screen from turning-on?

mj4345

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hi,

I have a asus n56vm (3days old ) and it has done this :( ....Any update on your pc's from asus ? Did they fix it?