ASUS Q550L screen dead

sharkbyte

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
About six months ago, laptop was knocked off coffee table into fireplace hearth (just after Windows 10 upgrade). Cracked the screen pretty good. Digitizer (touch screen) stopped working but everything else was fine. About a month ago, I rebooted after Windows updates and the screen wasn't working. Just black, no ASUS logo, etc. I tried everything to no avail. Then, a few days later, it started working again and was fine for a few weeks. Then a couple of weeks ago, was the same, Windows updates, reboot and nada. I can hear the processor fan and HDD light blinks but nothing on the screen and CD drive seems to try to read.

Took the bottom off, disconnected everything to reset. Try to boot without any drives connected and still nothing on the screen.

To test the monitor, I used the HDMI out to connect to my TV and I'm not getting anything. Between that and the way the CD tries to read, I'm not sure if it's just the screen that's failed or maybe the motherboard. But, with the fan running, that seems unlikely.

Really would like to get it going again, it's an expensive paperweight at this point. Any ideas of things to troubleshoot would be appreicated.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold thw power button for 20 seconds the try booting it up again.
- If these will not work, disconnect the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard then connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it.
- If you'll get a display from the external monitor that could only mean that the motherboard has failed.
- But if you'll get a display from the external monitor that means the problem lies in the built in display an the only solution would be to replace the LCD itself.

sharkbyte

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

I've tried the disconnecting battery and pushing power button. Same thing.

Where does the LCD connect to motherboard? If I disconnect and connect HDMI to output, should that be a valid test?

The HDD light blinks consistently. Every five seconds so once. Not like it's reading, more like it's getting power.

sharkbyte

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
I think I found the cable for the LCD and disconnected. Nothing via HDMI to my TV. HDD light blinks quickly at first, fan starts but after a few seconds, HDD light starts blinking about every one second. No back lights on keyboard and no video.