Asus Rog G73SW Video card upgrade from 460m to 770m

RawFrequency

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
Hello awesome community!

I am upgrading my ancient 460m to a much better card. The 770m. Before i went ahead and bought the card i did a ton of research on my model laptop and people have had success installing this card and flashing the Vbios with Nvflash. Everything installed fine except the first thing I see on screen before the bios screen is Error: Valid MXM Structure not found.
Then I have to wait 30 seconds before the pc posts and boots past bios. Once it boots past bios it gets stuck at the windows loading screen within the first 1 or 2 rings that appear below the logo. It has done this every single time so I can't even get inside of windows. I have already tried doing a clean install on an extra SSD laying around thinking that there might be a driver conflict not working with the card before booting to windows. Well, that wasn't the case. After i installed a new windows 10 on it, this time it goes to windows boot manager saying windows failed to start after the bios. The mxm error remains though.

I am at a loss for what I can do to flash the new card. I have already done all the steps needed except I am stuck at a very particular irritating issue that I can't seem to get around... So with the new GPU installed I am trying to flash the vbios on the card with Nvflash 5.370. using Rufus on a USB stick. I already have the new vbios file for the card.

Now that you have a backstory of what I have done so far...This is where the problem starts. So once I run nvflash from the USB stick the program will run and then I get yet another infuriating error that is killing me softly. "No display adapters available found" :??:

So because no display adapters are found I can't even flash my card with a new Vbios to actually get my pc booting past the windows loading screen. I am positive if I am able to get past this no display adapter issue and to let me flash the card, windows should work properly. Everything I looked up had no information on this that I could put into play other than people saying that the card is probably dead. I refuse to accept that the card is dead and believe there is a way to fix this?? I would like to try all possibilities from any advice you guys might have for me or to try something I haven't tried yet.

Also wanted to ask if anybody knows if nvflash 5.370 supports gtx 770m?? I could not for the life of me find an updated BIOS version of nvflash other than the 5.370. If this version doesn't support the card then that is very well the case. Someone with knowledge on nvflash and the compatibility of 5.370 to flash a 770m with would be much appreciated!!

I appreciate any responses as I am desperate to get this fixed.

Thanks!!

Solution
I say go for a genuine asus charger.180w should work.but 230w is better if u are planning to upgrade in the future.btw what mxm type is on your asus

RawFrequency

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
Hi Kookie,

My current PSU is 19v by 7.1 amps so that makes 134.9 watts

Is that enough to support the 770m?

As added information the cpu in the unit is a Intel Core i7 2nd Gen 2630QM (2.00 GHz)

i believe u need 180w/230w psu for a 770m.the i7 is power hungry as well.

RawFrequency

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
Ahh okay. if the PSU doesn't have enough wattage would that be a probable cause of it not detecing the graphics card at all? First time attempting this and never thought that the wattage on a PSU would cause a hardware component to not show up at all.

Oh and to answer your other question about using my old card, yes the old card does work. it's just the 770m that gives me that error.

I will purchase a 180 watt psu and report back with my findings. Would a 230w make any difference in performance compared to the 180? May go that route as well if it's better

P.S. What kind of charger would be a good one for this laptop? I don't wanna buy a generic one that won't perform well..help on that would be appreciated!