ASUS ROG GL552VW - backlit keyboard not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slava_L

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
Hello dears!
Just bought a new laptop ASUS ROG GL552VW with Windows 10 on board and found that backlit keys are not working at all(Fn + F3/F4). All other combinations are workinf fine (Fn + F#).
I had updated all drivers(including BIOS) from official site Asus but it didn't help.

Do you have any ideas what should I do?
I read a lot of articules that Win10 could be the reason. So maybe I need to reinstall OS to Win 8 or Win7(they both are ok for me)

P.S. Variant exchange it to the new is not for me due to some reason. :(

Solution
Hello all!
The problem has been solved! :) The reason was a stub ( for backlight).

So please note that not only drivers or other soft could cause such problems!

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Did Windows 10 come pre-installed?

Regardless....here are two things you can try, both of which have worked for various people under differing circumstances with similar ASUS models:

1) If you have been FULLY SHUTTING DOWN the machine and then restarting....try SIMPLY RESTARTING the machine to see if it solves the issue

2) Go to the ASUS Support site for your country of origin and enter the product Model and Model Number ->
Select the Drivers and Tools Link ->
Select your OS ->
Download the ATK package...save to Desktop ->
Open Control Panel ->
Open Programs and Features ->
Uninstall current ATK package ->
Restart the computer ->
Double click downloaded ATK package on Desktop ->
Install ->
Restart the computer

Good luck :)

Reactions: natdev

Slava_L

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

Thank you for your answer! :)

Both these cases I tried. And they didn't help me. I have called to the ASUS Support and they suggested to visit their Service Center what i'm planning to do tomorrow.

I will write a result here :)

MavsVj

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016

Incase you are still looking for a solution - do this below.

go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey (or wherever you have your program files)

run hcontrol.exe

REgards
Joe

Reactions: Poxinabox

Slava_L

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

:)
Firstly I will need to check if hcontrol.exe is runnig (in task manager). And if not - i should run it. otherwise i need to delete this process from task manager and then run it (as you described)
This was one of first thing which i have checked.
In any case thank you for your answer!
I passed my notebook to service center. I'll let you know the result of error fixing (positive or negative) here.
P.S. Sorry for my English. It's not my native language :)

Slava_L

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
Hello all!
The problem has been solved! :) The reason was a stub ( for backlight).

So please note that not only drivers or other soft could cause such problems!

Solution

Alexson

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016

Hi,

I am also having thesame problem. What stub?

Slava_L

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

Hi,
Stub example: http://goo.gl/Zsfr06

They inform me that it was broken in the assembly. So it was a warranty case.

gotiobg

Estimable
May 8, 2015
Hello. If there are people who are still experiencing the issue, here's my fix.

I had a similar issue: the buttons "4, 5, r, t, f, g, v and b" refused to be used on an ASUS F550J laptop.

CAUTION: In order to not break your computer, ask a friend who has skills in the hardware area or ask for technical support.
EXPLANATION to the fix: The main problem is that the cable, which transfers data from keys to the processor, is touching a hot steel/iron/etc. This causes data loss and the keys permanently stay unusable or at least barely usable.

STEPS to fix:
1. Make sure you know what you're doing.
2. Turn off the laptop.
3. Turn the laptop upside-down.
4. Unscrew every bolt you find.
5. There might be a couple screws under the battery. If so, carefully remove it and unscrew them as well.
6. This steps requires patience: Split the keyboard part from the rest of the laptop but know that there are going to be cables connected underneath. Slowly separate the two parts. Check how on YouTube. It's easy but make sure you have everything unscrewed. Don't unclip any cables, you won't need it. (If you're having trouble later on, you could unclip some but make sure you're very careful, because each has a clip, you need to click.)
7. This is the main step: Make sure you fold the most wide cable, so it doesn't touch any metal. Be careful with the folding, it's delicate. (You might want to straighten the folded area, which was touching the metal. This way, it refreshes.)
8. After you've folded the wide cable without it touching any metal, put the keyboard part back onto the other one. Make sure the wide cable is how you've put it (not touching metal) and is staying that way after the close.
9. Flip the laptop again, whilst making sure you have the cable as you want it.
10. Screw all bolts.
11. You're done. Now check if you've found your fix.

Amin_8

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

this is best answer. it works!

Dana_24

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Thanks! it works :)

Tomek_4

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Thank you!! this works perfectly on my
ROG G752VY

I did a full windows 10 clean install after putting in a Samsung EVO 960 1Tb SSD, and now i'm getting the odds and ends to work again :) very very grateful!

OSO27

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
In my case i upgrade to win10 PRO and the ATK not installing by my provider. I download the ATK for win10 pro, restart the lap and the backlight working pressing the fn+f4.

Ali_210

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Thank you very much it help peace from Medenine,Tunisia :) !

rajez

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

Thanks. This worked for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.