Question Asus ROG Strix gl702vm Gpu overheat no fan speed option

Jun 13, 2019
Asus laptop with nvidia GTX 1060, 6gb. Gpu temps were fine since purchase 2 years ago, now Gpu temp quickly hits 87 during gameplay causing significant lag and drop in FPS. Replaced GPU Fan and did thermal repaste. No change in temps. Reinstalled graphics driver multiple times through GeForce experience software, no change in temp. Visually confirmed GPU Fan is working but doesn’t turn on until Gpu temp hits 86-87, and doesn’t seem to decrease temp, only maintains temp. Downloaded asus tweak 2, but no option available to adjust fan speed. Visually confirmed that Dual cpu fans are working and kick in at lower temps.

Gpu manufacturer core speeds are within benchmarks even at high temps. I’m at a loss.

When you were inside did you make sure that the device was all cleaned out? No dust, debris, blocked vents, etc. You didn't mention.

As to adjusting fan speeds, you might want to try a program for it. Not all of them work on all devices, but ones like SpeedFan and others are out there.

Jun 13, 2019
When you were inside did you make sure that the device was all cleaned out? No dust, debris, blocked vents, etc. You didn't mention.

As to adjusting fan speeds, you might want to try a program for it. Not all of them work on all devices, but ones like SpeedFan and others are out there.
Thanks for responding. Yes, cleaned all dust. Re-doing pastes again now Thought maybe I didn’t sit the heat sink back properly and that thermal pads on chipset weren’t contacting heat sink but when I removed heat sink the thermal pads were stuck to it, so they were making contact. CPU And Gpu seemed well covered with thermal paste applied yesterday. My laptop also has two sets of thin metal vent louvres. Cleaned those out just now, but only a little dust. Uninstalled Asus Tweak 2, Installed msi afterburner and while there was a fan speed option, it wouldn’t allow adjustment as if it wasn’t an option. Temp was quickly hitting up to 95c this afternoon, so it actually got worse! What the He!! GTX 1060 is supposed to shut off if Gpu temp exceeds 92c, it didn’t shut down, so I shut it down. Not really expecting anything different after this repaste. Everything seemed like it was done properly yesterday. The effectiveness of the thermal pads concerns me, but in all the repaste vids I’ve watched, they all replaced chipset paste or grease, with pads and only Pasted only Gpu and cpu.

Not all programs will work with all laptops. Crazy but true. You may want to try another like the one mentioned or others to see if any will allow you to change the fan speed.

It is also possible that the fan, while working, isn't working correctly and could need replacing. Did you check into what the normal speed for it is vs what it is actually running at?

Jun 13, 2019
I haven’t looked into normal fan speed. I’m not very technical, this is all new to me, only learned about heat sinks and thermal paste and asus tweak 2, GPU core benchmarks and temps in the past few days, though I can now uncase an asus Strix laptop like nobody’s business. Just finished 2nd repasting, it’s pushing 92c and that’s after setting game to lowest Gpu load. I’ll look into the fan speed thing, maybe try a different program like you suggest..though I just replaced the fan. May be an issue with the motherboard or something.

Jun 13, 2019
It is possible, but the fan replacement could also be the issue. Been there.
I don't know, maybe I somehow made this more complicated than it needed to be?, but it now seems to be "fixed" or at least managed. Prior to the high temp issue, I didn't make any changes to my hardware or files, settings, etc (other than graphic card driver updates). Temps just one day started to soar and got worse. Even last night after 2nd repaste, it was hitting over 90c. Downloaded SpeedFan, but as with all the other software I tried that was suppose to allow tweaking of fans, it wouldn't let me do anything with fan speeds, so that didn't work.

So I re-downloaded Asus GPU Tweak 2 again and for the first time I dropped over clocking down to minimum and set GPU temp target to 80c. It maintained 80c. I increased my in game video settings to put a higher load on the GPU and improve quality...it held at 80c. I increased overclocking settings a bit, it held at 80c.

I did notice the GPU core value drop below minimum from time to time, but no real noticeable issue with playability. I'm thinking setting the GPU temp target to 80c is primarily what worked, but means that it will try to maintain that temp by dropping GPU frequency or something, thus the drops below core performance benchmarks.

I'm thinking there's probably still some issue somewhere. Never had to do any of this before and it worked great, but hey, I'll take what I got for the moment and avoid having to purchase a new gaming laptop for 2k in the meantime.

Thanks for your help.