Asus laptop's horrible fan noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

somguy00

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
i graduated highschool about a year ago and bought this asus laptop: https://www.amazon.com/FX502VM-Gaming-Laptop-NVIDIA-i5-6300HQ/dp/B01LXO0PO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537348178&sr=8-2&keywords=fx502vm

it was great for its price during august 2017, 900$ for an i5 6300hq and 16gb ddr4 ram and 1060 3gb, it doesn't look like a gaming laptop besides the back lit keyboard which can be disabled so it can easily blend in on campus.
gaming wise its amazing, i've been playing ac origins for the past two days at ultra settings 1080p and never dip below 30fps.
However ever since I bought it I haven't been taking it with me to campus because of how horrible its fan noise is, if I were to use it in a library it would bring so much attention that I just leave it at home nowadays.
googling it I found out everyone who bought this laptop has the same issue, and it is that the gpu fans are almost always on when there's no need for them, they are literally spinning full speed as I am typing this with nothing but google chrome opened and 1%gpu usage in task manager.
the gpu fans only have two type of spins, either full spin or no spin. it wouldn't pose a big problem if at least they were spinning at low rpms with less noise like normal laptops do.
the laptops's temps are normal, as I am typing this the gpu's temp is between 42 to 44 and the fans are spinning at full rpm, from what i've noticed they keep spinning at full speed until the temps reach 40c then the fans will completely stop and as soon as the temps hit the 45c mark they will spin at full rpm again and the cycle continues.

mind you the laptop has cpu fans aswell and they are never on unless i am gaming, the laptop doesnt have an intel integrated gpu.

Things i've tried but no success:
1- disabling gpu in device manager
2- limiting max power in power settings
4-underclocking using msi afterburner but the underclocking using msi afterburner only underclocks it for -400mhz but the gpu isnt going more than 150mhz on idle with or without underclock so its useless
5-undervolt using xtu

forgive me for this long post but i am just desperate at this point and i think i am gonna waste the money i've collected on a small notebook for campus purposes, but i really hope it doesn't get to that.

Solution
Before any1 comes up with a clue, try using Notebook FanControl software. It helps when nothing helps.

I've heard stories about those gaming asus laptops and nobody found a solution either to noise or overheating. Some people limit CPU power=undervolt and it helped them.

If you fresh install Windows, update BIOS and drivers, clean the cooling system + apply thermal paste and the issue persists - then it's a "feature" or fault of a laptop, and little can be done.

Traditore

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Before any1 comes up with a clue, try using Notebook FanControl software. It helps when nothing helps.

I've heard stories about those gaming asus laptops and nobody found a solution either to noise or overheating. Some people limit CPU power=undervolt and it helped them.

If you fresh install Windows, update BIOS and drivers, clean the cooling system + apply thermal paste and the issue persists - then it's a "feature" or fault of a laptop, and little can be done.

Solution

somguy00

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
i was able to control the gpu fan using the asus rog g751 config but i cant increase or decrease the speed, setting it on the lowest value's enables it at full rpm but setting it to off disables the fans

i am fine with this thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.