ASUS ROG752VS Touchpad Issue!

Juan Silva

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
THIS QUESTION WAS COIPED FROM ITS ORIGINAL POST ON THE ASUS ROG FORUMS: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87439-G752vs-touchpad-issue

I have been noticing that for some reason, if you drag a window or anything else for that matter using the left mouse button (as opposed to double tapping the touchpad and dragging) the mouse seems to skip around the screen... almost as if snapping onto an invisible grid, as to keep movements on a perfect X / Y axis. Anyway... this has become extremely frustrating when trying to fine tune parameters in programs that require dragging the mouse over something and adjusting it slightly. Even when simply attempting to highlight a string of text it becomes difficult due to the inaccuracy when doing this. This does not happen when double tapping and dragging. When done this way, the mouse remains accurate, but loses the accuracy as soon as you push down the mouse button(s).

has anyone else come across this, or would be able to confirm that this is some sort of annoying "feature"? If so... is there any way that this could be disabled? Or at the very least some sort of workaround.

Thanks!

EDIT:
So randomly I opened up my laptop from sleep, and I found that the mouse was no longer having the issue described above... but also, none of the multi-touch features were working.

Meaning, I was no longer having the stutter issue when dragging things while holding down the left mouse button. I restarted my laptop to see if I could get the multi-touch functions to work again, and once started again, the multi-touch was working again; I could two-finger scroll and whatnot again... BUT the stutter issue came right back.

This leads me to believe that it HAS to be a driver issue or something that can be fixed with software. I am not sure if or how to replicate this, but I have tried nearly everything to fix this problem. I have reinstalled drivers countless times and to no prevail.

EDIT #2:

I e-mailed ASUS about this issue, and they replied by telling me to reinstall the drivers......... even though in the e-mail I specified that I had already done so multiple times.

Not only that, but they told me that "If all else fails, employ the use of a USB mouse."

ARE YOU SERIOUS? I almost laughed at that comment. Yes, I use a mouse for when I have a table available to me, but THIS IS A LAPTOP. THE TOUCHPAD NEEDS TO WORK CORRECTLY WITHOUT OVERSIGHTS LIKE THIS ONE."

EDIT #3:

I have also noticed that the installed drivers, or at least those that are visible to us like the ASUS PTP driver and the ASUS Smart Gesture drivers, don't actually seem to do anything at all. If you change any of the parameters and options it doesn't actually affect the touchpad configuration. Even deleting the visible touchpad drivers doesn't change anything whatsoever. The touchpad continues to work as "normal"; same stutters, gestures and all. The only way to change any settings is through the Windows 10 settings. Would that mean there is some driver that is overriding even the manufacturers own drivers?

EDIT #4:

I was able to pinpoint which driver is causing the issues. It is definitely the ASUS Precision Touchpad driver. Once uninstalled and restarted the computer, it fixes the stutter problem all together. That being said, just like when the driver crashes, it disables all gesture support. So... It is definitely a problem with that driver specifically. I have tried installing other drivers after uninstalling the the ASUS PTP driver, but I have been unsuccessful in getting them to work. I have noticed that the Smart Gesture driver which they continue to tell me I need to install, doesn't seem to actually install any drivers. It only installs the control pannel program. This would explain why it doesn't do anything when I change the settings or parameters.

Uninstalling the ASUS Precision Touchpad driver just causes the computer to automatically re-install the broken driver upon restart. The only way to stop it from doing anything is just to disable it.

Have you tried installing say Synaptics drivers instead?

1. Download the correct Synaptics Drivers for your system, but do not install yet.

2. Next download this troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

3. Run the troubleshooter. Click "Next" and then click "Hide updates."

a. If "ASUS - Other hardware - Asus Support Device" is listed, check the box
and press "next" until the troubleshooter is finished. Then proceed to step 7.)

b. If "ASUS - Other hardware - Asus Support Device" isn't listed, proceed to step 4.

4. Now go into "Device Manager" and uninstall the drivers for "Asus Support Device". It should be under "mice".

5. At this point you want to restart your computer. When the computer restarts, Windows will eventually try to re-download and install the drivers. This may not happen right away, sometimes it takes a while. Luckily you should be able to 'disable' the driver from the troubleshooter before that happens.

6. Again run the troubleshooter and the "Asus Support Device" should now pop up as an option. Select it and run through the troubleshooter.

7. If it's still there, uninstall "Asus Support Device" in device manager, under mice. Then return to step 4 and reboot.

8. Now you want to unzip the Synaptics file and run the setup.exe.

9. Once it is done, restart your computer again.

Now your trackpad options should correctly show up in the control panel "Mouse Options", and Windows won't replace the drivers anymore.

Juan Silva

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015

I have tried doing this... but was actually unable to find any "ASUS Support Device"... I tried doing it with the broken driver, which is under HID Devices called "ASUS Precision Touchpad", but was unable to follow through with the instructions because this driver, which is the one that continues to re-install itself , does not show up in the troubleshooter.

Thanks for the reply though!

TheRealEchoMike

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and many other forums found using google to no avail. Finally I opted to uninstall all the drivers related to the touchpad including the Asus Gesture software. Basically I was just using the basic windows driver for TouchPad, then I went to the ROG G752VS drivers download page and downloaded the driver for the TouchPad and installed it. Here is the direct link just in case you don't feel like looking any further: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin10/TouchPad/Touchpad_ASUS_Win10_64_VER1101002.zip?_ga=1.225479518.576092303.1483674594

Once the driver was installed, I went to the Device Manager screen (Press Windows Key + X and select it) then expand the Human Interface Devices and right-click either the ASUS Precision TouchPad or HID-compliant touch pad driver and select Update Driver Software... click on Browse my computer for driver software then click on the browse button and look for (or copy paste this location) C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ASUS PTP Driver\win10\AsusTPDrv\x64\Elan_Focal_PTP, select the driver from that folder and you will be good to go!

Either way, if it worked for you, let me know! I haven't had a problem with my TouchPad and all the multi gesture features ever since I did this. And you don't need to use the Smart Gesture software to have the gestures work, it is a feature already available in Windows 10.

Good Luck!

randomdev

Prominent
May 30, 2017

Just wanted to say thanks! This solved my issue on my G701VI

Mr0KI

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
TheRealEchoMike said:
I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and many other forums found using google to no avail. Finally I opted to uninstall all the drivers related to the touchpad including the Asus Gesture software. Basically I was just using the basic windows driver for TouchPad, then I went to the ROG G752VS drivers download page and downloaded the driver for the TouchPad and installed it. Here is the direct link just in case you don't feel like looking any further: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin10/Tou...

Once the driver was installed, I went to the Device Manager screen (Press Windows Key + X and select it) then expand the Human Interface Devices and right-click either the ASUS Precision TouchPad or HID-compliant touch pad driver and select Update Driver Software... click on Browse my computer for driver software then click on the browse button and look for (or copy paste this location) C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ASUS PTP Driver\win10\AsusTPDrv\x64\Elan_Focal_PTP, select the driver from that folder and you will be good to go!

Either way, if it worked for you, let me know! I haven't had a problem with my TouchPad and all the multi gesture features ever since I did this. And you don't need to use the Smart Gesture software to have the gestures work, it is a feature already available in Windows 10.

Good Luck!

I tried it and did not work for me, it said I got the latest version.
but when i followed your link to " C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ASUS PTP Driver\win10" I double clicked "install_all.bat", then i tested it by letting the pc go to sleep then wake it up again, several times, and it works.

asus rog g752vs
ptp driver ver. 11.0.13

I suggest to try TheRealEchoMike solution or this way.

thanks for posts that led me to the solution. good luck.

Jun 17, 2018

this worked for me, but first I had to un-install the older driver from control panel - programs and features, reboot, then install driver from PC , downloaded in the step above. Strangely enough the driveron the asus webpage is a version older.

Jun 17, 2018

Thank you, this worked for me. I downloaded the driver you mentioned, which is strangely newer than the one on the ASUS support webpage for the laptop. Then I had to manually remove the ASUS PTP driver from control panel -> programs and features, reboot, and install driver, downloaded in step above, from my pc. and reboot again.

Jul 27, 2018
Please help if possible... My cursor moves when i use my touchpad, but tapping and double clicking do not register or work for either left or right side of touchpad.

My ASUS model is GL702VM.

Please let me know if you have any answers.

Thank You,
Alex

chermassey

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017