Asus S550CA laptop Screen

JesMMN

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015
I have had this laptop for over a year now. The other day i restarted my computer and the screen was flickering. After about 30 minutes the flickering eventually Stopped. My computer started to update and restarted itself again and now the screen is just black but the computer is putting out video through the HDMI port. When viewing the computer on my TV i realized that the computer was not even recognizing the Internal Display. I believed that the screen was just going bad, but then i performed a hard reset and the backlight came on.While the backlight is on the bios will not even load its just a black screen with the backlight. So then I assumed it was the screen but not the backlight. After restarting the computer a couple of times with just the backlight on, a red dialog box comes up talking about a secure boot error and when I press enter it takes me to the bios. After getting into the bios I realized that the screen is fine. Now when I get into the bios Secure Boot is on so I turn it off and the computer boots but the screen is once again black and video only comes through the external monitor. And when I turn secure boot back on the backlight is on but the bios just does not load at all. What could be the reason behind this?

Solution
That would lead me to tend towards a driver issue, which we know isn't the case since the display won't even work prior to POST when it decides not to. I'd go through all the basics.

Remove the RAM and reseat it. Possibly clean the "teeth" on the memory modules using a clean eraser and reinstall. If there is more than one memory module, try them individually.

Unplug the hard drive power and SATA connections and power up to see if the display is visible.

If you are comfortable with some disassembly or can locate a disassembly tutorial on youtube, take it down to the point where you can check the display cable. These ribbon style cables used on laptops are notorious for going bad due to broken "wires" in the cable or shorts between...

JesMMN

Estimable
Feb 20, 2015

I tried that, the weird thing is I turned my computer on this morning and the screen was working perfectly. But of course my computer decided to update and then restart, now the screen no longer works.

That would lead me to tend towards a driver issue, which we know isn't the case since the display won't even work prior to POST when it decides not to. I'd go through all the basics.

Remove the RAM and reseat it. Possibly clean the "teeth" on the memory modules using a clean eraser and reinstall. If there is more than one memory module, try them individually.

Unplug the hard drive power and SATA connections and power up to see if the display is visible.

If you are comfortable with some disassembly or can locate a disassembly tutorial on youtube, take it down to the point where you can check the display cable. These ribbon style cables used on laptops are notorious for going bad due to broken "wires" in the cable or shorts between "wires" due to the constant bending of the ribbon. It's also possible to have pulled free from it's connection at either end since these generally just push into their connectors.

If none of this solves the issue, then it's likely either the panel or GPU is going bad. Since the display works with an external monitor, GPU failure is unlikely.

Solution