Question Asus UX305C won't turn on. not charging but power light on

Jan 1, 2020
Hello, I'm having a Asus Zenbook UX305C laptop and since last week, i'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Actually it worked fine previously and suddenly the laptop won't powered on. I'm having very limited knowledge about electronics and i noticed and did the following things to diagnose the issue.
Check the charger voltage using multimeter and it is giving 19.3V. plugged the charger, AC power indicator light got on.
Pressed the power on button and the LED in the power button lit up.
Caps Lock on and cannot turned off.
Total black screen. I checked the LCD and it's working fine.
Unplugged the battery (internal battery) and the charger. hold down power button for about 15-30 seconds. but no luck.
When powered, I felt the processor getting a little bit warm. This model having intel m3 processor and doesn't having a cooling fan.
Battery charging indicator light is off (orange light) and i think battery is not charging. I did checked the battery and it seems to be working properly.
When I'm trying to turn off the laptop by holding down the power button, the light in the power button off for a couple of seconds and turns on automatically. So i had to disconnect the battery and the charger in order to completely turn off the machine.
Sorry for making a lengthy explanation and i'm really appreciate if someone can give me an idea about this problem.

If you just got this laptop, and it is new, then it should be under warranty. If that is the case, then I would contact the seller (if not past the return/exchange date) or contact the manufacturer.

Now if it isn't new, or past the warranty, then it sounds to me like it is actually turning on, but the display isn't showing anything.

Try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Jan 1, 2020
If you just got this laptop, and it is new, then it should be under warranty. If that is the case, then I would contact the seller (if not past the return/exchange date) or contact the manufacturer.

Now if it isn't new, or past the warranty, then it sounds to me like it is actually turning on, but the display isn't showing anything.

Try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.
Really appreciate your feedback upon my issue. Actually it is out of warranty now and i purchased it as a used computer. it worked well about 3 months and suddenly had this issue. Anyway thank you for the tips and i'll try these steps once i got the mini hdmi cable which i don't have at the moment.