asus vivobook pro laptop, turn on without battery?

gpeteamd

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Good day to everyone. Can I still use my vivobook pro if i remove it's battery then plug it's charger?
Does it still turn on when I do that?

JalYt_Justin

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017

If the battery is charging while you're playing games, etc, then the laptop might run slightly hotter because it's pulling more electricity from the wall. When the battery is fully charged, power is only being pulled by how fast the battery drains, so ultimately less power goes through the unit, though really it won't be big enough of a difference.

gpeteamd

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017

I just noticed that when I am playing dota on battery mode, I can't even feel the slighest heat near the panel of the cpu,
But when I plugged it in, it is gaining heat overtime.

And playing dork souls 3 on low settings will peak my cpu temp on 90c above after several mins of gameplay. I can't get the average temp though, I can only see the peak temp.

geofelt

Distinguished
Some laptops require a battery to be installed, even if plugged in.
You have the means to try it.

Laptops running on battery need to conserve energy.
They will run at less than 100% cpu capability, and may use integrated graphics instead of stronger dedicated graphics.
Yes, running at 100% and using discrete graphics will increase heat generated,

gpeteamd

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017

Ok got it. But do you think limiting the fps on games will put less strain on my cpu? I wass planning to do so, I don't really need max fps if my cpu is getting hotter than Mia.

geofelt

Distinguished

Not to worry about damaging your cpu.
It will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Laptop fans get clogged with dust; you need to occasionally check that .

Your call as to the usage vs. fps issue.

gpeteamd

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017

I will take note on this. Thank you :)