Asus Vivobook S14 heating issue. Is this temperature normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2018
I recently bought a Asus vivobook s14 s406u
https://www.asus.com/in/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-S14-S406UA/overview/
The specs are :
Cpu- i5 8250u
Ram- 8gb ddr3
Ssd-256gb sata 3
Gpu-intel uhd 620

Under idle it never crosses 45C. But under load it reaches temperatures upto 95C. And by load i mean a half n hour session of browsing in chrome (with youtube playing) and ms office installing in the background. And maybe opening some pdf documents along with it. The 95C temperature does not stay for long. Maybe a second max. Another information that I would like to give is this that when the temperatures hover around or above 80C the operating frequency is close to or slightly above 3.0 GHz.
I would like to know if this temperatures are normal or I have a faulty laptop with bad heating, because in non of the reviews anything was said about this having bad thermals.

Solution
95 is pretty high, 90 is a bit high but won't crash. Any of the slim systems have issues with cooling. There is at least one tech article that looks into the slimmer laptops for this issue, where the CPUs run sower than older models due to vendors making the systems smaller and smaller.
95 is pretty high, 90 is a bit high but won't crash. Any of the slim systems have issues with cooling. There is at least one tech article that looks into the slimmer laptops for this issue, where the CPUs run sower than older models due to vendors making the systems smaller and smaller.

Solution

I would not want any laptop to be at 95C for a long period of time. 90 is OK during stress testing.

Don't remember where I read about the laptop heat issues, I go through a lot of tech articles.

Jan 23, 2019
I had same issue with an Asus K56CM. Unfortunately I had to make a compromise. The GPU was getting too hot. I deactivated the GPU and the temperatures have dropped drastically, the fan behaves normally. The bad part is that now I am using integrated Intel HD Graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.