Solved! Asus Vivobook S15 (S531F) heating concerns

May 27, 2020
Hi
I have the above mentioned laptop and I use it mainly for productivity, browsing, streaming videos, etc. - simple use.
The one thing that's on the heavier side of usage is playing games - I'm not a big gamer, I only have DotA2 on my laptop. I play it on low settings every now and then.

Whenever I'm playing, the fan goes on full power, and the laptop heats up significantly. The heat particularly is generated on the top right side of the laptop.

Note: the laptop isn't older than 5 months.
I have:
  1. Opened the underlid and cleaned it form the inside (although being new, it hasn't caught much dust/dirt).
  2. Updated the firmware to the latest.
  3. Do not keep the fan intake vents blocked. I use a laptop stand which elevates it from below keeping enough room between the surface and the underside.

I checked the temps on coretemp and its usually in between 70-80 C. And 50-60 during normal usage.

Any suggestions, causes, etc. as to why this happens?

Solution
Hi
I have the above mentioned laptop and I use it mainly for productivity, browsing, streaming videos, etc. - simple use.
The one thing that's on the heavier side of usage is playing games - I'm not a big gamer, I only have DotA2 on my laptop. I play it on low settings every now and then.

Whenever I'm playing, the fan goes on full power, and the laptop heats up significantly. The heat particularly is generated on the top right side of the laptop.

I have:
  1. Opened the underlid and cleaned it form the inside (although being new, it hasn't caught much dust/dirt).
  3. Do not keep the fan intake vents blocked. I use a laptop stand which elevates it...
May 27, 2020
I've already cleaned up my disk and os .... well actaually there wasn't much to clean since its a fairly new laptop and there aren't too many programs or files on it.
Actually that's why I was surprised to find that it heats up this much.

What I observed its fine for other use, only when the GPU is being utilized significantly is when it starts to heat up.

Hi

I have:
  3. Do not keep the fan intake vents blocked. I use a laptop stand which elevates it from below keeping enough room between the surface and the underside.
I checked the temps on coretemp and its usually in between 70-80 C. And 50-60 during normal usage.

Any suggestions, causes, etc. as to why this happens?

80 c is normal for a laptop during use, if it gets to 90 that is getting to be too hot. Your system is a thin one, not designed for gaming or using the CPU/video card at high loads, it just can't dissipate the heat, so having it get warm is normal for those systems.

Solution