ASUS X550ZA - Charging Issue SUPER WEIRD!

jamesautodude

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Okay so this is extremely weird, and I can't find an answer anywhere. Before you say anything, please read!!

Okay so, this laptop has an issue with charging. In the sense that, the laptop will be plugged in, and Windows 10 says "Plugged In, Charging", but, the battery percentage goes down as if it's not charging. The orange charging light on the front of the laptop is on steady as well.

I have tried:
-Remove the battery and AC Adapter, press and hold power button for 20 seconds, then plug in AC Adapter without battery. Once it's on, plug in battery to see if it'll charge.

-Test the AC Adapter with a multi meter, it's within specs even on the original adapter.

-Try another AC Adapter, I have tried numerous and purchased 2 Adapters so far, and tried the original adapter that came with the laptop, same results with all of them.

-Uninstall the battery driver(s), which I did any procedure you're thinking of from turning it on without the battery to turning it on with the battery after uninstall of the driver.

I've pretty much tried everything, and this is why I don't understand it. I've got a new battery, new charger, and have gotten replacement batteries in case one is defective. Every single time, I get the same results!! I have looked with CPUID and can literally watch the mWh Capacity go down. It reports a voltage of 14.742 and doesn't drop at all while it's charging so, I don't get it!?

Solution
i had the same issue with alienware 13.ordered a replacement battery and charger and still the same issue until poof the battery wont charge anymore even with a new batt and psu.turns out it was the dc port/power jack on the laptop itself so i ordered a replacement and it works like a charm.i am not sure if your laptop dc port is soldered or not.
i had the same issue with alienware 13.ordered a replacement battery and charger and still the same issue until poof the battery wont charge anymore even with a new batt and psu.turns out it was the dc port/power jack on the laptop itself so i ordered a replacement and it works like a charm.i am not sure if your laptop dc port is soldered or not.

Solution

jamesautodude

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Thanks I highly think that's the issue too. Sadly after attempting a BIOS update, it's bricked so it doesn't matter anymore :(

Good to know for the future tho!