ASUS X551MA Laptop Battery Issue

Gamefreak924

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016
This happened several months ago a bit after I replaced my hard drive with a new SSD. My laptop has been unable to get any power from the battery ever since I replaced the HDD, having to be plugged in at all times, saying "0% available (plugged in, charging)". No I did not disconnect the battery before replacing the hard drive, which I now know was a mistake I was ignorant of back when I did it. But another huge mistake I made was trying the stupidest ways to remove a screw from the back panel while doing it. The screw is stripped as much as you can possibly imagine, and I mean that. I need to know if I have to really go to someone who can take it out, or if there is way to make the battery work without having to do it / a way to take the screw out myself without having to spend more than $10-15. All help appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
I don't think that would be wise. You risk damaging something sensitive, which there are a lot of in there. There are many ways to try and work with a stripped screw, the problem is all the others I have heard of require specific tools, etc., which would cost $. It may well be cheaper to get it done by someone. Other than this, I am at a total loss.

Gamefreak924

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016

Haven't really tried, but the hole the screw is in blocks me from really getting in there :/

Hmmm I am at a loss. I would normally use a magnetized screwdriver for that kind of screw, but not on a computer. Have you tried, I am assuming it is a Phillips head, using a different type of screwdriver? There are different sizes of Phillips head ones as well as even more square shaped. Which, if the screw head it kind of stripped, might now be shaped closer to a square.

(Hiding those straws I am grasping at.) ;)

Gamefreak924

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016

I've tried all the possible screw driver heads I have. Even used the rubber band trick to give it something to grab on to. Nothing worked. Would it be safe to just rip it open? Or is that too risky?

I don't think that would be wise. You risk damaging something sensitive, which there are a lot of in there. There are many ways to try and work with a stripped screw, the problem is all the others I have heard of require specific tools, etc., which would cost $. It may well be cheaper to get it done by someone. Other than this, I am at a total loss.

Solution

Gamefreak924

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016

Would you know what kind of person I would have to approach to get it taken out?