Asus x555l Battery/Charging Problem

Mar 13, 2018
I've had this laptop for over a year and had no problems at all. Yesturday my daughter plugged in the wrong charger and it instantly shutdown the laptop and it would not come back on until I plugged in the correct charger.

I thought phew, that was a close one, until I realised the battery was not charging.

Now the battery is completely flat, when charging I have the orange charge light on but the laptop will not make it past the asus screen without dying.

I use this laptop for work so I need the issue sorting asap, don't want to go and buy a new battery only for it not to work. Really don't want to open it up to get to the battery either but I'm willing to try anything right now.

Please help, thanks in advance.

Solution
If you see some light when you plugin charger without battery that means dc jack and resistors after it are not shorted. Might be when you intially booted with battery it had still some power to boot your pc for few times but wasnt charging cause DC jack where charger goes has bad connection or resistors after it on the motherboard are broken (not shorted) if shorted then you would smell burnt pcb or no lights at all.

Since dc jack is soldered to motherboard ;: https://www.amazon.co.uk/X555L-Power-Socket-Charging-Connector/dp/B0787PM8LF

Only way to test this is to get someone charge your laptop battery to full. Then try to boot it without charger and full or partially charged battery. IF it works for a while after battery drains...

Tolis_GR

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017
Best scenario is you have just killed the battery. Since it powers on it is a good sign that your motherboard is alive. Remove the battery and try to power on with the correct AC adapter. Battery should be easy to be removed at the back of your laptop. You dont have to open it up. If it's working, then you need a new battery.

Mar 13, 2018

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I think this model of laptop requires me to open it up to access the battery. I don't mind having a go but once it's removed is it 100% safe to attach the ac adapter without the battery fitted?

I know in models with exterior removable batteries it's fine but not sure about this.

Mar 13, 2018

Ok, so I have taken the battery out and inserted the ac adapter and there is no power. Nothing at all.

Any ideas on what to try next?

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
So it worked before you removed battery? Did you remove other connectors than battery?
I have no knowledge of this model if it works without battery (rare that it wont)

When battery and power cable both are removed press power button for 1 minute just hold it to drain any power. Try again without battery and with power cable back on to start it.

Mar 13, 2018

Yes, with the battery and ac adapter I get a charge light and it starts for like a second. Without the battery and with ac adapter I get nothing. With just the battery I also get nothing.

I drained all power, still nothing. I've popped the battery back in and I'm back to square one.

I'm starting to worry now :(

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Did you actually put front panel connectors like power button and keyboard back in Place? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTRudd1HJuU

Short circuit might of burned DC jack. You can find disasssembly video of your model in YouTube surely.
remove it froom motherboard, put charger in and test with multimeter other side of dc jack does it get stable voltages.

If this really is a model which wont work without battery idk.

Mar 13, 2018
I don't have a multimeter no, don't even know what one is lol.

I just took it to the pc repair shop down the road, he basically told me he will charge me £40 to to look at it and tell me it's going to cost me a lorn of money to repair :(

Not sure I want to go down that road.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
If you see some light when you plugin charger without battery that means dc jack and resistors after it are not shorted. Might be when you intially booted with battery it had still some power to boot your pc for few times but wasnt charging cause DC jack where charger goes has bad connection or resistors after it on the motherboard are broken (not shorted) if shorted then you would smell burnt pcb or no lights at all.

Since dc jack is soldered to motherboard ;: https://www.amazon.co.uk/X555L-Power-Socket-Charging-Connector/dp/B0787PM8LF

Only way to test this is to get someone charge your laptop battery to full. Then try to boot it without charger and full or partially charged battery. IF it works for a while after battery drains then you dont have to change whole motherboard which is Super expensive.

If you have friend who knows electronics can probably change DC jack in motherboard or even more plausible explanation resistors on PCB went bad and protected motherboard. Replace or even faster make bridge from DC jack after resitor other side will make it charge as usual. This means if same thing happens again resistors dont protect motherboard and it will be fried but that probably wont happen again :)

Solution

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Does it cost less to you if you go to tech repair guy and KNOW reason and say what they do? Find a one who can test laptop with fully charged battery so you can say straight that it works with charged battery and dont need money for diagnostics.

New cheap multimeter is 10 euros and you could test this yourself also i can help.

TRENDING THREADS