Solved! ASUS X555L: replaced new battery won't charge

Jan 15, 2019
I recently bought a new battery to replace on my Asus X555L. When trying to charge it, it shows "0% and charging" but doesn't charge. It turns off when I unplug the AC. I tried putting the old battery (which doesn't last as it used to) and it charges. Laptop works while plugged in without battery too. What is the problem? What can I do? I need help, please.

Solution
The new battery, is it aftermarket by any chance? If so, that may be your problem. Not all aftermarket ones are good or work correctly. Some laptops actually won't even work with the aftermarket ones (the manufacturer can make sure of that). If that is the case, I would return the battery and get an OEM one.
The new battery, is it aftermarket by any chance? If so, that may be your problem. Not all aftermarket ones are good or work correctly. Some laptops actually won't even work with the aftermarket ones (the manufacturer can make sure of that). If that is the case, I would return the battery and get an OEM one.

Solution
Apr 3, 2019
  1. Turn off the laptop.
  2. Unplug AC power
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Replace AC power.
  5. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.
  6. Once logged in to the machine, perform a normal shut down.
  7. Unplug AC power.
  8. Replace battery.
  9. Replace AC power.
  10. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.

And in general, A new battery need to be run down at the first time. Then make it to be full charge for 12 hours with the laptop turn-off.

Those steps will not work to resolve the problem they are referring to.

Since the old battery, while not working fully, will charge when connected, however the aftermarket new battery will not work, then the new battery is the problem.

On top of this, aftermarket batteries are more problematic than they are helpful. You may save money buying said battery only have it not work, or even go so far as to damage the laptop. Yes, that can happen. I am a fan of using aftermarket stuff for many things, laptop batteries just aren't one of them.