Solved! Asus xonar stx and stx 2 audio positioning .

elwooddestiny11

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
You alright guys .

First post here .

I am the owner of 2 asus xonar stx cards and 1 stx 2 card and noticed something thats doing my brain in .
Theres a video on youtube for surround test with headphones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYdIidUIbAs&t=10s) .
The idea is the matchbox is shaken and the sound travels around you from right to left and back again .
Its pretty cool .
However with the stx and the stx 2 cards it doesnt work properly and when it gets to the front of you it jumps behind you instead of continuing to the right and there is clearly a problem with audio positioning of these cards .
The video works fine with on board sound and my asus xonar dx , ds , dsx and other sound cards perfectly .
Anyone else experienced this with the stx and stx 2 cards ?
Its leading me to believe these cards are flawed when it comes to audio positioning and it doesnt matter what settings i use within the asus software or windows 10 its still the same .
If you havent tried it and own the stx or stx2 cards then give it a go and let me know your experience . Im on windows 10 and not tried it with any other windows .

Solution
D
Standard STX with the only/official Asus driver and Windows 10 Pro X64. It sounds just like it's supposed to and the sound never jumps. The TH - X00s are closed cans but I don't see how that could make a difference. I also have HD 598s, HD600s and HD 650s I can try it with. I've never noticed any positional issues before though. I'll give the others a shot later if I think about it.
D

Deleted member 217926

Works fine for me. Xonar Essence STX and I currently have Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00s plugged into it. Didn't try it with any other headphones. Set to 2 channel and Hi-Fi in my Xonar Audio Center.

elwooddestiny11

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Cheers for your reply anort3 .
When you say it works for you , does the match box start at your right hand side and go around the back of you to the left and then around once there continue round the front of you to your right and then back to the side . My problem with all the stx cards is once it gets to the front of me that the sound then jumps to the back of me and then goes to the side , Not completing the full circle around me . It does this with all my set ups . All with official asus drivers and on windows 10 64 with sennheiser hd 599 , 598s and 558s all open backed headphones . What drivers do you use with your cards and what version of windows are you using if you dont mind me asking . Like i said , it works perfectly fine with other asus and non asus cards but not the stx and stx 2 cards for me in my different set ups . I have tried moving the surround speakers in the asus 7.1/5.1 software but no change . I have also used 2 channels and all the different settings in the asus software but no change . Any ideas what it could be .

D

Deleted member 217926

Standard STX with the only/official Asus driver and Windows 10 Pro X64. It sounds just like it's supposed to and the sound never jumps. The TH - X00s are closed cans but I don't see how that could make a difference. I also have HD 598s, HD600s and HD 650s I can try it with. I've never noticed any positional issues before though. I'll give the others a shot later if I think about it.

Solution

elwooddestiny11

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Cheers again anort3 for your response .
Jump was the wrong word i think . It just once the sound is dead in front of me it travels over my head and then continues to travel to the right but behind me . I also have tried this with hyperx cloud cores and hyperx cloud 2s and also sennheiser hd 598cs which are all closed back but the problem is still the same . I know it cant be headphones or headsets and it cant be that im unlucky and both my stxs and my stx 2 are faulty from new when i got them . So im thinking driver , software or windows 10 issue unless its a fault with all the stx and stx 2 cards but then again your not having the same problem . If you do get a chance to test can you let me know how you get on as its driving my head in . Mine definitely dont do a complete full circle around my head on this test . Im gonna try installing one of the cards on a windows 7 machine and test it when i get the time . Will let you know how i get on .
Cheers for your time .
Elwood .

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from elwooddestiny11 : "Asus xonar stx and stx 2 audio positioning ."