Asus zenbook ux52vs Black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Hi..
I have an Asus Zenbook UX52VS 15.6inch core i7 3517u with Nvidia 645m,. Yesterday i shut it down and after an hour i wanted to turn it on and now it has a problem,, The problem is that when i press the power button on keyboard the laptop start, all lights goes on, the fan kicks and stays running but the screen is completely black like there is no signal coming to it. i did a hard reset but nothing,, is it means the Nvidia chip went bad or something else. i opened the back cover disconnected the battery plug and reconnected still the same.. 2nd time post please any help..
Thanks

Greg Gregorich

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
with out power ON did the battery charger work.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

At last someone.. Thanks. Yes when the laptop is powered off and i connect the charger then its charging.. By pressing the power button the laptop starts normal like all LED's fan, keyboard backlit etc.,, Only there is no display completely black and no windows chime or sounds..

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Battery disconnected (unplugged) press and hold power button for a minute or so,, then checked only with charger,, didn't worked, then repeat and checked with battery and charger,,no luck,

Try the key combo to switch to an external monitor. Most laptops disable this when no monitor is connected, but it's worth trying.

Is the screen completely black, like when the laptop is off? Or is it dimly lit like the backlight is on, but the screen is displaying black? If the screen is on (a little light leaking through) but displaying black, then either Windows is hosed and not loading, or the GPU has failed. Try hooking up the laptop to an external monitor and hitting the key combo to mirror the display to the monitor. That'll let you test if the GPU has failed (actually I think this model used both Intel and nvidia GPUs simultaneously).

If it's completely black then there are a few different possibilities, but most people will have to take the laptop to a repair shop. If you want to try to diagnose/fix it yourself, shine a bright flashlight at the screen after you've allowed the laptop to boot - can you faintly see what the screen is trying to display? If you cannot see this, then either the screen has completely failed, or the connector to it (analogous to a video cable on a desktop, except it also carries power) has come loose, or the power being supplied to that cable (from the mainboard) has failed for some reason. Hopefully it's just a loose connector. You can try disassembling the laptop and checking the connector/cable, but I can't find disassembly instructions for this particular model online.

If the flashlight lets you see a faint image of your desktop, then it sounds like the backlight has failed. This was more common with the old CCFL backlit displays, but is not unheard of with the newer LED backlit displays. Unfortunately most LED backlights are built into the screen nowadays, so you may be looking at a complete screen replacement. Depending on the resolution and quality, this can be anywhere from about $25-$150 for the screen plus labor. Just Google UX52VS replacement screen. Beware that the cheaper screens may have worse viewing angles and paler colors than your original. (Or if the original screen was low quality, the replacement may be superior.)

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Yes, i tried that,. when i connect the HDMI to my TV then the tv screen changes like its going to show something like it shows the resolution HDMI 1: 1920x1080p as it does always when i connect something to it but after a second or 2 its then says check your source etc etc and no signal. There is no light at the screen at all, Its completely dark like a switched off. with torch in a dark place no faint image.. pitch black. i will disassemble the laptop completely and and will reveal the display connector behind the screen to check if its loose or misplaced,, but why its not showing anything on external monitor,, why is there no windows loading or booting sounds..? Greets

chrille87

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

Hi!
Do you find any solutions on your laptop? I have exactly the same problem.
Thanks.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Goodday.

The motherboard did not got fixed so I ordered a replacement used motherboard from chine which went wrong, they sent me a motherboard with i7 but 2gb ram onboard, so I don't know if the just reflowed i7 processor on i5 motherboard or what because this model for i7 comes with 4gb onboard, I paid a lot on shipping 2x return to china and both of the time they sent me the same motherboard,.,

last week I sent it back and asked for full refund which they agreed but I don't know what will happen next once they receive it, I suggest buy an i5 motherboard from ebay which will cost you about 120 us dollars, otherwise throw this shit in garbage.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.