AT&T CEO 'Regrets' Offering Unlimited Data with iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Can someone get some of these plug-in CEO's a different book to read. You could literally shuffle the deck with 90% of corporate board members and get them all saying exactly the same things for each of their new companies.

CEO-U is getting boring.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]trapper[/nom]Move to Canada, my 500mb plan is $50, and that's the standard rate across all 3 of our providers.[/citation]
I switched to WIND. One more dot like me to stick it to the big 3 men, $40 for unlimited everything :p

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Pro tip for service providers: Instead of repeatedly increasing the speed to levels that you cannot actually sustain at a rapid rate, why not slowly increase possible speeds as you gain an increased amount of bandwidth when you expand your service. Assuming you are actually expanding your service.

Imagine a world where speeds were increased incrementally... instead of 3g at 1Mb/s and 4g at 20Mb/s you would have 4g at like 3Mb/s as they had increased potential bandwidth. Then we wouldnt be having this "issue" that they claim to be having! Services will use what you give them, and if you give them higher speeds and unlimited bandwidth you can be damned sure they will use it to its fullest!

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]Basically he is saying "If we have unlimited data, I will get a less fat check. I'm greedy, so let's not give the consumers any savings." Blah blah blah. I understand not giving unlimited to a degree, but 50 dollars for 5GB is outrageous.[/citation]

It's more than outrageous... it's robbery at gunpoint. It's past time for the FCC to step in and tell these companies "All plans unlimited at X minimum speed!"

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]Basically he is saying "If we have unlimited data, I will get a less fat check. I'm greedy, so let's not give the consumers any savings." Blah blah blah. I understand not giving unlimited to a degree, but 50 dollars for 5GB is outrageous.[/citation]

You think that's bad. Here in New Zealand it costs $10 a month (around $8US) for only 100MB.... :/

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

It has always been 50-60 for a 5 gig data plan.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]plekter[/nom]Finland, unlimited data and 12€ a month.[/citation]

Is that with a subsidized phone or with a phone that you had to buy outright for full price? It makes a pretty big difference when the subsidy is $520-$540 [comparing the AT&T pricing with contract to Amazon unlocked phone pricing].

12€ is $15.62; with the subsidy is $37-$38 per month. Now, it is still a lot more than that in the US, but if you leave out the pretty substantial difference in the cost of the phone, it just artificially makes the gap look much wider.

BTW-- given the choice to buy my phone and have a cheap plan vs the a subsidized phone with an expensive one-- I'd take the latter all day long, since I would use the same phone for well over two years if it wasn't for the fact that I have to keep paying for the subsidy even after the 2 years is up...

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]Is that with a subsidized phone or with a phone that you had to buy outright for full price? It makes a pretty big difference when the subsidy is $520-$540 [comparing the AT&T pricing with contract to Amazon unlocked phone pricing].12€ is $15.62; with the subsidy is $37-$38 per month. Now, it is still a lot more than that in the US, but if you leave out the pretty substantial difference in the cost of the phone, it just artificially makes the gap look much wider.BTW-- given the choice to buy my phone and have a cheap plan vs the a subsidized phone with an expensive one-- I'd take the latter all day long, since I would use the same phone for well over two years if it wasn't for the fact that I have to keep paying for the subsidy even after the 2 years is up...[/citation]
Given that it is way more expensive in the US, does it make sense to get a subsidized phone when in the savings on a non-subsidized plan will pay for the phone in LESS than the contract time?

plekter

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]Is that with a subsidized phone or with a phone that you had to buy outright for full price? It makes a pretty big difference when the subsidy is $520-$540 [comparing the AT&T pricing with contract to Amazon unlocked phone pricing].12€ is $15.62; with the subsidy is $37-$38 per month. Now, it is still a lot more than that in the US, but if you leave out the pretty substantial difference in the cost of the phone, it just artificially makes the gap look much wider.BTW-- given the choice to buy my phone and have a cheap plan vs the a subsidized phone with an expensive one-- I'd take the latter all day long, since I would use the same phone for well over two years if it wasn't for the fact that I have to keep paying for the subsidy even after the 2 years is up...[/citation]
You don't have to buy a phone to get the net, you can just buy the card and, for example, buy a USB card modem and use the net on your PC. Thats the practice the companies seem to be shifting towards nowadays but am still keen to use cable.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]trapper[/nom]Move to Canada, my 500mb plan is $50, and that's the standard rate across all 3 of our providers.[/citation]
I live in Canada as well and with a Rogers plan you get 2GB for $35 or 6GB for $60. 500MB is $25. Those are good prices, but they're not as bad as you're suggesting.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I live in Canada as well and with a Rogers plan you get 2GB for $35 or 6GB for $60. 500MB is $25. Those are good prices, but they're not as bad as you're suggesting.[/citation]
Should be "aren't" good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.