AT&T or Verizon for new phone plan

Tracy_5

Commendable
Feb 10, 2016
I've always had a prepaid phone plan with Verizon, but I'm thinking of finally getting a new iPhone and a new cellphone plan. I'm debating whether I should stick with Verizon or switch over to AT&T.
If I stick with Verizon and get the iPhone 6s, I'll be paying $77 a month for 1 GB. With my current plan, it only comes with 500 MB and I usually buy extra data if it runs out, so I end up using about 1 GB a month.
If I decide to go to AT&T, they have a few different options. The plan itself is $55 for 3 GB. I could end up paying $77 a month and be eligible for upgrade every 2 years. The other option is to do a down payment that will come out to $247 tax included that's due up front. By choosing to do the down payment, I would pay $71 a month and be eligible for upgrade every 12 months. I could probably afford the down payment, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I've had an iPhone 4 for almost 2 years, so it's not like I'm the type of person who constantly needs to upgrade.
Pros vs cons for this scenario?

Solution
If AT&T has good coverage where you are, then clearly $55 a month is way better for 3 times the data. I would not bother with paying extra for the upgrade option, just get a used AT&T phone if you want to upgrade. Only time I ever got a new phone from the carrier is when I had a free upgrade with a contract renewal, rest were just used phones, it seems your upgrade paths are about the same as mine, if you have a decent phone that works, no need to change to a new one just because it's the latest and you want to impress people that you have one.
If AT&T has good coverage where you are, then clearly $55 a month is way better for 3 times the data. I would not bother with paying extra for the upgrade option, just get a used AT&T phone if you want to upgrade. Only time I ever got a new phone from the carrier is when I had a free upgrade with a contract renewal, rest were just used phones, it seems your upgrade paths are about the same as mine, if you have a decent phone that works, no need to change to a new one just because it's the latest and you want to impress people that you have one.

Solution