AT&T Testing RIAA's Download Tracking Plan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Everyone (well, almost) knew what happened when other countries tried to pull this kind of sh!t. I guess R!AA is really too deep in their own wonderland to see reality (and explore more realistic options); and let's not forget the major ISPs.

I hope they get smacked so hard they continue to lose more "artists", customers, and whatever credibility they still have.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
How to detect music piracy: Record company releases a new hit song with a short "signature" sequence of bytes in it that ISPs can observe in unencrypted packets. They aren't going to try to hit the users savvy enough to encrypt, because the cost is too high. They'll go after low-hanging fruit.

FWIW, I am against piracy. I agree with the author that these artists have mouths to feed. I also agree with one of the above posters that the RIAA and record labels in general take too much from the consumer and give too little to the artists. NiN sounds like it has a better business model; problem is, how to get the word out on good artists. Record labels are all about promotion, to the point that they lock radio stations into playing certain songs with certain frequencies. Come up with an internet-based business model that promotes music, generates ground swell and can support advertising, publishing, promotion and tours without gouging customers, and you've got a winner that will knock RIAA on its butt.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]How to detect music piracy: Record company releases a new hit song with a short "signature" sequence of bytes in it that ISPs can observe in unencrypted packets. They aren't going to try to hit the users savvy enough to encrypt, because the cost is too high. They'll go after low-hanging fruit.FWIW, I am against piracy. I agree with the author that these artists have mouths to feed. I also agree with one of the above posters that the RIAA and record labels in general take too much from the consumer and give too little to the artists. NiN sounds like it has a better business model; problem is, how to get the word out on good artists. Record labels are all about promotion, to the point that they lock radio stations into playing certain songs with certain frequencies. Come up with an internet-based business model that promotes music, generates ground swell and can support advertising, publishing, promotion and tours without gouging customers, and you've got a winner that will knock RIAA on its butt.[/citation]

word

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]Record labels are all about promotion, to the point that they lock radio stations into playing certain songs with certain frequencies. Come up with an internet-based business model that promotes music, generates ground swell and can support advertising, publishing, promotion and tours without gouging customers, and you've got a winner that will knock RIAA on its butt.[/citation]

word (why can't we edit?)

bmxmon

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
I have had my internet shut off, not sure who it goes though. (Local company, but I would imagine they go through one of the large ones to get the pipe?) Anyway apparently a studio house complained about our download (Roommate downloading Stargate Atlantis episodes, haha!) So they shut it down. Had to call them to get it restarted.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Want to know why CD sales are falling. Just ask the pissed off consumer who paid $15 to buy Metallica - Death Magnet, only to find out that it sounds like crap and later finds out the guitar hero version actually sounds better.
How about hiring recording engineers that actually know how to put together an album with some semblance of fidelity.

... And, for the love of god, stop the "loudness wars." or at least have the courtsy to put a warning label on the CD:
"The sound on this CD has been processed by a loudness filter and buyer should not expect it to sound like real people or real instruments and BTW we are to cheap to hire a qualified sound engineer."

Over the years I have burned so many copies of original release CDs, from the 80/90s, for friends wanting to hear decent sounding albums that do not suffer from the loudening of many "remastered" releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.