AT&T Throttling iPhone Data 'Hogs' Down To 2G Speeds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]That is simply because you don't understand that the market is this way because the government IS intervening. Why do you think it is always 2-3 big...[/citation]
There is counseling available for this class of paranoid conspiratorial beliefs.

actius

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Let the free market work itself out...people will leave AT&T for other carriers when their plans are up, and then AT&T will have to do something drastic to gain consumer trust back.[/citation]

And that argument worked so well with data caps, right?

Initially when only AT&T had data caps, all you free market evangelists claimed people would just move to carriers with no caps and the market would shift for the better. A few years later and almost all companies have caps or throttle data. It seems the carriers figured out that if one company can screw their customers, all they'd have to do is screw them a little less and things would still seems "competitive".

Yes, the free market really worked out for the consumer, didn't it? Oh, and AT&T and Verizon recorded record profits in recent quarters.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]There is counseling available for this class of paranoid conspiratorial beliefs.[/citation]

I'd rather not have a counselor try to keep me as an ignorant sheep like yourself, thanks.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
So THAT'S why they have me on a 2 year contract!! Yea, I'll be switching after this. Maybe going to the HTC Titan, although I'd like something that has an AMOLED screen and expandable storage, or maybe I can keep the focus.

Hey Sprint! How ya doin'?

G

Perhaps a lawsuit would force them to get rid of the 5% rule and give an actual cap....if they have not already disclosed this information.

G

If their customers decide, en masse, to strictly limit their data usage, it doesn't matter. The top 5 percent are affected no matter how frugal or profligate they're being.

I hate ATT. I hate Apple. The above though, is a very broad assumption based on assumptions. I use Verizon and pay for 2GB, but I usually skirt by at about .5% usage, but when you gotta have it, you gotta have it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]When I read articles like that I'm more and more shocked when I read posts like "why is the government always on the backs of companies" The feds should just butt out and let the free market decide whats best".I'm sure most of at&t users would like a lil government intervention now.[/citation]

free market only works for so long, until there is a monopoly.

in tech, a monopoly is FAR easier to gain than anywhere else.

you make a car, someone else does, they all use the same roads

you make an os, someone else makes an os, but software only works on it if its programmed for it.

when one tilts 60/40 the 60 has already won, and takes a colossal failure to lose. its why you will never see linux or mac ever overtake the pc. a few years ago, it could have been possible, at least when gameing was still lead on the pc. if devs went to opengl, linux route would have been possible. get a linux version that was basically windows but more stable, and can play games (better than dx, which was usually the case) and you got a ton of people who would have switched. but no, by the time linux versions easy enough for general home use came around, gaming went to consoles.

at&t is kind of like windows that way, there is basicly no way for them to fall without a failure so epic that no one in the world could imagine it possible...

probably went a bit off topic somewhere in there.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
$25 a month for 2GB on my wife's iPad 2 + hulu plus = 2GB used in 2 days lol

Whats funny is we have iphones with grandfathered unlimited data lol we get more data on our phones than our iPad lol. Whats the point of even having 3g on a tablet if you can only use 2gigs a month, I'm severly pissed, and now this. My iphone data usage monthly is around 3-5GBs on average. If I wasn't grandfathered in, I would be going over every month on there 3GB plan lol.

The other carriers are no saints either, but ATT is starting to get out of hand.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Comcast does this with high speed internet, and I hate them because of it. Unfortunately, there is no other high speed provider in my area.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Question: Is it even possible to consume all of the data in your plan if you are constrained to 2G? I don't know what BW 2G provides, nor what AT&T's plan offerings are. I dumped them for Sprint and never looked back.

But if AT&T's plan caps can't even be consumed at 2G speeds, it would be fun to see a class-action against AT&T for failure to fulfill contract by deliberate act. Scenario:
1) you use a bunch of data quickly to DL something in the beginning of the month.
2) AT&T flags you and demotes you to 2G for the remainder of the month.
3) At full 2G speed, you DL everything you can, but are only able to use up 2/3 of your paid data plan simply because it is not possible to use more than that with 2G in a month.
And oh, btw, since you've been stuck at 2G, your 3G-equipped neighbor is now in the top 5% and gets demoted to 2G too...

I would love to watch this play out. And any AT&T customers out there - no intended slight on you. I know that sometimes you don't have a choice of mobile service providers. I'm hoping that in the end such a class-action with DoJ and FCC intervention would help you in the end too.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]I'd rather not have a counselor try to keep me as an ignorant sheep like yourself, thanks.[/citation]
I believe you believe this (that's the nature of a paranoid delusion).

G

Nah, that's just logic without the indoctrination of a professor.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]I believe you believe this (that's the nature of a paranoid delusion).[/citation]

I believe you don't believe this (that's the nature of being brainwashed from birth). Keep this going as long as you want.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Its funny how I have been screwed by Bank of America and AT&T, both those companies blow hard. Bank of America just let my friends acc get raped for over 20,000 dollars in a single night, and they blame it on my friend. Hundreds of customer complaints and years later.. he still has not seen a single penny.

Not even going to get starting on how the phone companies want to charge you for every little piece of data, no smartphone internet without a data plan (what complete horse-shit, i should be able to get my upgrade phone as a smartphone and use WIFI without a god damn data plan). God i love google voice. Fuck paying for Text / SMS

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]I believe you don't believe this (that's the nature of being brainwashed from birth). Keep this going as long as you want.[/citation]
I don't honestly believe the government has the power to cause oligopolies. I think it is a natural consequence of aggressive human behavior. I believe governments can even be opposed to it, but without being aggressively opposed, they won't stop it. I'm a pretty independent thinker, so I believe I'm low on the indoctrinated scale. I do see the whole idea of sinister master plans by 'the government' or 'the wealthy' or 'the powerful' as a bit paranoid. Power pretty much begins and end with people's lives, as history shows, so it's pretty hard to have a long term 'master plan' for 'world domination'

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]I don't honestly believe the government has the power to cause oligopolies. I think it is a natural consequence of aggressive human behavior. I believe governments can even be opposed to it, but without being aggressively opposed, they won't stop it. I'm a pretty independent thinker, so I believe I'm low on the indoctrinated scale. I do see the whole idea of sinister master plans by 'the government' or 'the wealthy' or 'the powerful' as a bit paranoid. Power pretty much begins and end with people's lives, as history shows, so it's pretty hard to have a long term 'master plan' for 'world domination'[/citation]

I didn't intend to begin this kind of debate, especially not in a news article about AT&T's new policy. I believe myself to be an independent thinker as well. Historically, power has always been concentrated into the hands of a few, whether they were on top by "birthright" or by accumulation of wealth and power. Nothing is different today, except that they are no longer publicly pulling the strings. They do it through lobbying, bribery, unfair business practices.

As history actually shows, the same groups of people have always been on top in the western world (in the last few hundred years). They pass their plans, their agendas, their dynasties down through their family. Look at the vast empires began by Mayer Rothschild, or by John Rockefeller. They died, did their power evaporate or get passed down to their children?

Our government consistently makes laws and decisions favoring corporations over people. Our government treats corporations as if they are people, and extends to them our rights while they treat the actual people as if they have no rights. How can this not be a large overarching plan? Do you really think these people just want more and more money? They have enough money to buy anything at any time already. They can buy enough land to form their own country. Why would their motive just be more money? That makes no sense. Look at how the middle class has been systematically decimated. It is all but extinct. Look at how ridiculously unlearned children are as they graduate not only high school, but college as well, still not knowing the simplest things about their own country.

G

Go back to using landlines and answering machines. See how quickly these companies buckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS