Atari Brings Reto Games Online for Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlauzon76

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
This is cool, I remember playing some of those Atari games in the arcades, I even briefly owned the ET game, but back then you could take the games back to the store where you bought them, even if they were opened and they'd give you your money back!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The 2600 used a derivative of the 6502 called the 6507. As the previous person posted, it's 8-bit.

I loved playing Adventure. That Red Dragon was a beast.

Defender was a really cool console game. Arcades back then were so much fun. Now, you just have a punch of dweebs at home playing on their TVs. It's just not the same experience as going out, playing on consoles, having pool tables and ping pong tables nearby if you choose, and a snack bar.

The loss of the arcade was a dark day.

mlauzon76

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]The loss of the arcade was a dark day.[/citation]

Montreal, QC, Canada still has some arcades, they used to have a few on St. Catherines just east of the Montreal Forum where the Canadians used to play, now there is only the one not that far from the former Forum. So, arcades are still around, however not as much as they were in the heyday of the '80s.

mlauzon76

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Uncle Meat[/nom]4 bit? The 2600 was 8 bit.[/citation]

The article was most likely written by someone who was born at the end of the '80s and has no idea what they are talking about!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mlauzon76[/nom]Montreal, QC, Canada still has some arcades, they used to have a few on St. Catherines just east of the Montreal Forum where the Canadians used to play, now there is only the one not that far from the former Forum. So, arcades are still around, however not as much as they were in the heyday of the '80s.[/citation]
And they are expensive as hell.
$2 a token, and the game requires 2 token to start, and only 3 minutes you have to add more tokens???
I love arcades, but damn, so pricey.

mlauzon76

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]And they are expensive as hell.$2 a token, and the game requires 2 token to start, and only 3 minutes you have to add more tokens???I love arcades, but damn, so pricey.[/citation]

Don't know what you're talking about, the only games in that arcade that I would consider 'pricey', would be the ones you have to sit down for, ie: racing games. The other games in that arcade are usually between 1-3 tokens each.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Well, tbh, here in Mx arcades are dissappearing too, the big arcade places have 3 kinds of machines: The DDR style ones, the racing ones and the KOF ones lol

mlauzon76

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]alexmx[/nom]Well, tbh, here in Mx arcades are dissappearing too, the big arcade places have 3 kinds of machines: The DDR style ones, the racing ones and the KOF ones lol[/citation]

We used to have a lot of arcades here in Toronto, but the 3 that were in the downtown core have been closed for years, I did find a cheap arcade in Pacific Mall, although it's really not worth mentioning; and I don't consider those few arcade games you find in movie theatres to even be considered an arcade.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
The entire ROM set for the 2600 is slightly over 10MB's lol

Would take me about 8 seconds to download the entire collection...

Some real classics too, maybe I will DL it just so I can finally try out Custer's Revenge... I actually owned a 2600 back then and I had a nice collection of like 20 games (swapped with friends all the time so some games I did not bother to buy) I remember having competitions to see who could roll the score over the most times on Asteroids lol For a piece of junk they did manage to make some fun games on it, a testament to the talent of the programmers of the day.

Uncle Meat

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]ubergeek[/nom]It was 4-bit color depth. As in 16 colors. The processor was 8-bit...[/citation]

Nope. The TIA in the 2600 could do 128 colours in NTSC, 104 colours in PAL, and 8 in SECAM.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
right, I have ROMs of every Atari game 2600 game ever made (hundreds)... there are a whole 6 online? Gee, don't get too carried away.

Status
Not open for further replies.