Athlon 2 x4 654 cpu unlock problem HELP PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatljguy

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Hello, I am new to this website and I have been having trouble unlocking the CPU cores on my Athlon 2 x4 654 CPU.

I enabled CPU unlock in the BIOS and selected manual on CPU core control and put all 4 cores on enable but it still doesn't work.
The other problem is that the multiplier decreased from x15.5 to x4 and the core speed went from 3100MHz to 800MHz.

WHAT HAPPENED!?

My mother board is a 870 - G45.

PLEASE HELP! This is a new PC and I don't want to buy another one. :fou:

Solution
yeah thats just your power plan just to save energy and to make your pc last longer its a algorithm that tells your pc to slow down to save energy but if you put your multiplier higher than 18.5 power savings are thrown right out the window and you will have full power constantly (which you dont need) and will cost you more money on your power bill... what os are you running?

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
does you multiplier just go down at idle? or does it go down while playin a game or somethin... system specs would help too. But right off it sounds to me like your power saving options... when your not putting your computer under load your motherboard will decrease the voltage and multiplier to save energy.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
yeah thats just your power plan just to save energy and to make your pc last longer its a algorithm that tells your pc to slow down to save energy but if you put your multiplier higher than 18.5 power savings are thrown right out the window and you will have full power constantly (which you dont need) and will cost you more money on your power bill... what os are you running?

Solution

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Are you finding any performance losses? and yeah win 7 editions come with those power plans if your not seeing any performance drop then its fine or you can go into your power options and create a new profile so you multiplier does not switch. But from what Im reading so far you are just concerned about the switching back and forth is that all?

thatljguy

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
in my old pc i have an athlon 64 x2 5200+ dual core and now with my new cpu the performance look the same for the games I have like GTA 4. even though i enabled unlock cores on the bios it doesn't look like its in quad core.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

What do you mean it doesnt look like its in quad core? what os do you use?

thatljguy

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
like I said earlier i use windows 7 64 bit home premium. what im saying is that it has the same fps as it is in the old cpu. it doesn't look like the frame rate is increased from the old cpu. the athlon 2 x4 645 is suppose to atleast double the fps.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
well get the side bar gadget that shows your cores working right there it will tell you weather they are running or not....and your cpu does not have that big of an effect on your game play it just processes the info sends it through the board to your gfx so in the end its you gfx card that wil boost your framerates.. What card are you using at the moment?

thatljguy

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
im using a 9400gt

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
your using a ndivia card on a gigabyte board? I tried that with my 890 i got and I bought the new 580 that came out and was expecting wicked performance out of it but I just didnt get it. I was told its because gigbyte has an amd chipset and will work better with an ati card. so I popped in my 5770 i got got just under the 3d mark scores of the 580 which shold have blown my 5770 out of the water. let me know if you get that side bar gadget and if its working...Ill try to help more but I gotta eat sometime and that time is NOW! ill check back here after.

thatljguy

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
my motherboard is not a gigabyte motherboard, its msi and what is the name of the gadget exactly. couldn't find it

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
well in the long run they are basically the same...right click your desktop and go to gadgets and select the bottom right "get more online" click that and the gadget is still on the first page called all cpu meter. that will show if your cores are running or not...you can also try c-puz that will show all your cores and if they are working or not

thatljguy

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
okay, i got the gadget and it has all 4 cores on it but i don't think they are used in gta 4 or even any of the programs at all. only the first and second core are used and not the third and forth core. :(

timmybazza

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
it may not be fully optimized for quad cores and may only use 2 threads. Also that crap you were saying about chipsets etc is not true at all mate. Depends on the cpu youre using. If you had the 580 with say an Athlon II X2 250 it wouldnt be powerful enough to send through the data quick enough and the gpu waits on the cpu. This is known as a cpu bottleneck is what you experience with the gtx 580 and why the 5770 (needing a less powerful cpu) got similar 3dmark scores. You wont see a frame rate difference on GTA 4 because youre using quite a low end card that will not really benefit from a faster processor. If you want better framerates, get a better gpu.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
my cpu is more than powerfull enough 955 be @ 4.025 so I dont think that card was waiting for my cpu at all.....And the gadget just in idle mode should show a little activity on all 4 cores...with having all four cores working in game....games are just starting utilizing the 4 cores

Status
Not open for further replies.