Athlon 64 4000 vs Turion 64 Mt40

kimo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
I know the 4000 is a little faster i think its 2.6ghz and the mt40 is 2.2 ghz.

My question is. Would the performance difference for gaming on these two be worth sacrificing the battery life?

I figure the .4 in clock speed wouldnt make much difference. But im not sure about the Athlons Turion models.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Blah if you feel like it. Put the Athlon 64 4400 in the Mix. :lol:

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
A 4000+ desktop processor is 2.6 GHz 62 watts
The MT-40 is 2.2 Ghz 25 watts
Both have a 1 MB Cache

Another thing you didn't ask about, but is worth mentioning is that the new ML-44 is a 2.4 Ghz 1 MB cache chip that uses 35 watts of power, possibly a closer match, but is very pricey and hard to find.

The ML-42 is 2.4 GHz with 512 kb cache (but performance wise very close to the ML-44 because the cache on a Turion or Athlon does not have a humoungus impact on performance, due to the onboard memory controller). The ML-42 is a cost effective way to add the clock cycles back to your gaming beast and still not hold a gun to the head of your battery.

I think your cost in battery performance is not worth the couple clocks you're picking up with the more power hungry Athlon Mobile over either of the Turion family ML or MT. I mean, it is a notebook, it probably has a big role in your life aside from gaming, namely mobility, and to work on the go you don't always have power available.

kimo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
Gaming and web surfing would be my main use on this laptop. In that order.
Mobility is what im wanting. I would most likely never have to use the battery if i didnt want too.
But if the performance difference was so unoticeable id just buy the mt40. In case one day the battery life actually started being somthing i needed.

Anyways thks for the info ive already gotten. And thks in advance for any future info on this matter. :D

btw here some of the games i would be playing. Dark Age of Camelot, World of War craft , Vanguard when its released. MMORPG (pVp ofcourse)

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I could, but the only ODM that I know that makes a 19" notebook is:
Eurocom

Pretty incredible dual 7800 GTX cards for 512 mb video memory! I think I was talking about complete ridiculousness with someone... I wish I would have known about this.

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
I could, but the only ODM that I know that makes a 19" notebook is:
Eurocom

Pretty incredible dual 7800 GTX cards for 512 mb video memory! I think I was talking about complete ridiculousness with someone... I wish I would have known about this.
But with 2 vid cards. There goes your batt life. Let alone heat. Plus 20' are due.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You can get up to 2 hours battery life with this optional 124 pound battery! Now THAT's portable!

B-O15.jpg