Athlon II or AMD A-Series?

ChaseCTech

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I own an Athlon II X3 455 and don't know if it will unlock to 4 cores or not. I can sell it on eBay and get an AMD APU or FM1 Athlon II with 4 cores, or stick with my Athlon and gamble that it does unlock so that I can get the 500 MHz bonus it offers. If I take the gamble, it also means that I need a more expensive motherboard. I hope to get a graphics card a few months after I build the computer, so the APU has an immediate advantage, although I do not need to do this. What option should I go with? And if I sell my Athlon, what price should I sell it for? (It is opened, but not used) THANKS! :D

jemm

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

ChaseCTech

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
So which one should I go with, FM1 Athlon or AMD APU?

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

First of all, unlocking gives you an extra core (if it's not defective in the first place that is). It does not give you an extra 500MHz. Increasing the clock speed higher than what its rated for is called overclocking :)
Your x3 can BOTH overclock, as well as possibly unlock , BUT the power draw will increase quite a bit, so make sure your PSU can handle the extra wattage, and that you have adequate cooling for the chip.

An FM1 athlon will NOT be an upgrade for you, it'll be a waste of time and money. My recommendation is that you get an A10 trinity desktop chip, and sell your current mobo/cpu/ram. Get new 1866 rated RAM for the trinity chip. Forget about a discrete GPU for a year or so, the APU graphics will be good enough for you:)

You can probably sell your x3 for around $45.

ChaseCTech

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
The Athlon II X3 455 that I own has a 3.3 GHz, while the FM1 Athlon II X4 has only 2.8 GHz, which is why I said it has an extra 500 MHz.

wr6133

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
Keep your current CPU and motherboard and get a decent GPU

Then save up for a new motherboard and CPU later on (which you can carry over the GPU on this)

Reason I say this is getting FM1 or even the newer trinity FM2 now and using integrate graphics is not going to game as well as just shoving a good GPU with what you have.

Remember for most games GPU is more important

rdc85

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
well choosing parts always difficult when u want to get the best of your money..

The reason I'm suggest to wait, are the new pile driver line up (APU and Desktop) scheduled to launch somewhere at October....

It nice improvement, also it will drive some price down .............