ATI Mobility 5470 - 3DMark 11 - terrible results?...

ORGONOTIC

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi all
can anyone make any sense of these results from 3dmark 11?.. Im sure something seriously wrong with my ati graphics but have no idea what. All the drivers are up to date, and all the settings in catalyst control center are set to performance. The Intel graphics work better than the ati 3 out of the 4 games ive tested - Assasins creed, driver parallel lines and batman arkum asylum. I tried gta4 as well - totally unplayable on both graphics...

dv6-3130sa
4gb mem
Windows 7 home premium
Ati mobility HD 5470
i5-460M

P115 3DMarks

Processor - Intel Core i5-460M Processor

Processor clock - 2793 MHz

Physical / logical processors - 1 / 4

# of cores - 2

Graphics Card - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Vendor - Hewlett Packard

# of cards - 1

SLI / CrossFire - Off

Memory - 512 MB

Core clock - 157 MHz

Memory clock - 200 MHz

Driver name

Driver version - 8.771.1.0 (Latest from HP)

Driver status - Not FM Approved

General

Operating system - 64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7601)

Motherboard - Hewlett-Packard 144A

Memory - 4096 MB

Module 1 - 4096 MB Samsung 9 @ 667 MHz

Hard drive model - 500GB ST9500420AS

Detailed scores
3DMark Score - P115

Graphics Score - 99

Physics Score - 2566

Combined Score - 96

GraphicsTest1 - 0.4 FPS

GraphicsTest2 - 0.47 FPS

GraphicsTest3 - 0.54 FPS

GraphicsTest4 - 0.37 FPS

PhysicsTest - 8.15 FPS

CombinedTest - 0.45 FPS

Settings

Default settings used - Yes

Edition - Basic

Dxgi Adapter Luid - 64616

Screen Width - 1280

Screen Height - 720

Msaa Sample Count - 1

Texture Filtering Mode - Trilinear

Max Af Anisotropy - 1

Tessellation Detail - 5

Max Tessellation Factor - 10

ShadowMapSize - 5

Shadow Cascade Count - 4

Surface Shadow Sample Count - 16

Volumetric Illumination Quality - 5

Ambient Occlusion Quality - 5

Depth Of Field Quality - 5

Enable Window Mode - Off

Enable Vertical Sync - Off

Enable Triple Buffering - Off

Enable Wireframe - Off

Color Saturation - 100%

System Info Guid - A064C3B1-76E3-47EF-BF53-4E7846E2A576

I found these specs from here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5470.23698.0.html

Core Speed * 750 MHz
Shader Speed * 750 MHz
Memory Speed * 1800 MHz
Memory Bus Width 64 Bit

My card isnt running at those speeds at all :eek:
I think the usual results for this card is about 500, on 3dmark 11. Does that sound right?

Anyone know what could be wrong with this card?

Ive emailed PCWorld about the Intel graphics working better than the dedicated ATI graphics but they havent botherd to reply yet...

Cheerz

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
There's a very good chance your laptop throttles the video card in 3Dmark to limit heat buildup. Laptops are often very bad at dissipating heat, and benchmarks like 3Dmark cause your video card to run far hotter than it would in actual gaming scenarios.

That said, the 5470m is still only a low end discrete card, so don't expect amazing performance from it regardless. But this sound specifically like a setting designed to limit it in benchmarks to prevent overheating.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
The 5470 is not a very powerful card and the first generation of cards from AMD that support DX11. I have a 6450 in my mother's desktop computer (I think they are related) and her computer is not that fast for fancy graphics either. I got the card because her onboard graphics began to have lots of noise. The card was $35 if that give you an idea of the level of performance you can expect...

ORGONOTIC

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi forgot to say its the 512mb version - if that helps.
Thanks for the replies so far - i know its a rubbish card but it dosent explain why the Intel graphics works better than the ATI graphics - or why its got a score of 115 on 3dmark 11 and on the results page i think it says the usual score for this card is about 500.
Its a refurbished laptop but i only got it a couple of months ago. Somthing isnt right with that graphics card - theres no way the intel chip should work better on 3 games is there?... When using the ATI it totally lags even just using the menus on these games.
Why would they put the ATI chip in there at all if its not as good as the intel chip? Unless as a sales gimmick. I know other people with the same card and similar cpu ect can play gta on full resolutuion and medium settings but i got 8.5 fps with the lowest res and every other setting on lowest. Somthin aint right with it :(

ORGONOTIC

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
The plot thickens lol

spoke to a tech bloke from KNOWHOW and he thought it must be a faulty card, but said to do a factory restore and see if it made any difference.

It did, a lot, but i still have no idea what got messed up.
GTA4 was 8.5 fps with lowest res and other settings before - now its about 15fps full res and lowest other settings. Nothing i do can make it playable fps :(
It actually was half playable this time. Then i did the auto patch thing and the next time i played it i got horrible lag but the benchmark test said it had an extra 2 fps. No idea why that patch messed it up?..
Driver Parelle Lines plays about the same as before. The lag on it and gta comes in lumps if that makes any sense. Its smooth, then a chunk of lag will stop it for a second then smooth then chunk etc.
Assasins creed works way better now with the ati chip
so dose batman, can play on hiest settings and its still smooth.

Just did 3dmark again - 115 last time - this time 446! big difference. And it says its running at the correct core and memory speeds this time.

At least now i know the chips not defective, and that i wasnt mental for thinking that it wasnt working properly lol Got to spend a stupid amount of time getting rid of all the hp bloatware and setting things up how i want again now :heink:

Anyone know why, if batman is working perfectly does driver and gta is giving me lumpy lag?..

Cheerz

Pyree

Distinguished
I think the driver was messed up. Most first gen Arrandale laptop cannot switch graphic and switchable graphic require customised driver update from the laptop company (not AMD). Maybe a faulty update on the graphic driver causes the problem. Restore and you have the default driver and use the 5470 properly.

GTA IV is just so badly ported from console, it will refuse to run decently with anything less than a desktop gaming build.

ORGONOTIC

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Yeah, something was well and truly messed up - still dont know what. Maybe il install Avira again and it will go back to being terrible even with realtime protection turned off - i do hope not >.<

I did download and try and install the ati drivers a few times, when i was trying to sort out why the display would change brightmess when Catalyst would turn on. Aftre many hours i found that it was a windows display setting that needed to stop automatically turning on, hten just set each cards colur as good as i could get it.

Ive not had any prob with switching the graphics apart from it wont let you if theres a web page open lol.

Yeah, im not impressed with the quality of pc games compaierd to consols, sooo much effort to get them to work when with a consol you bung the disk in and its done. Too many different system variations they have to take into account so they will work on as many differetn computeres as possible. With a consol they know exactly whats what in the system that plays the game.

Anyway, ive got it back to near how it was before the factory resotre now - hopfully the graphics wont mess up again.

Cheerz

Pyree

Distinguished
I don't think it is Avira. I have AMD laptop and desktop GPU's and Avira. So far I haven't seen Avira stuffing up the GPU yet.

If you don't have time to mess with computer hardware or simply more interested in the games than the obsession on the hardware to getting the highest possible fps with the best graphic, then a console will suit you just fine.

ORGONOTIC

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
ah good to know i can use avira. Ive updated the ati driver to the latest hp one and its working the same as before so thats not what messed it up. No need to mess with them anymore, until they make a new one. 100 windows updates just done lol..

I wana build a beasty pc one day - cant afford it at the mo tho - if your guna do it may aswell do it right :)

ORGONOTIC

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Yeah, ive only tried games when its plugged in. Battery lasts less then 2 hours at the mo >.< Its a refurbished lappy, maybe the person who had it b4 didnt charge it up properly or sumthin... Lots of people complain about the battry life on this tho. Ive got it all set to max performance on battry aswell at the mo i think, il mess about with it later.

Cheerz

latinoheat

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
well my ati graphics 1gig card games used to play very wel until a few weeks ago them the graphics began getting pixeleted, the game play is stil fast but cant see anything,the environment in the game become paper like,when i switch to the intel graphics it slows down and the graphics look like im playin pac man, tryd uninstallin the softwares i had installd to no avail.
Hp g62. 4gig ram @2.4ghz, thinking of taking it back cause iv only used it 4 about 6 months