ATI video driver won't install on Toshiba Satelite L35 S2366

TigerZero

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Here is the story. A customer bought to the shop where I wotk this Toshiba Satelite L35 S2366 and wanted the Vista basic replaced with a brand new legal version of Windows XP Pro. Vista was replaced by a fully license genuine Windows XP Pro OS. Here is the start of the problem. Toshiba only is providing Vista drivers for this model. I was able to find out what hardware and chipsets were in the laptop but i couldn't open the case enough to find the onboard graphics processor. I found XP versions of drivers for most of the devices from the device manufatures to install. The hardest to track down was the drivers for the ATI IXP 450 southbridge. But my bigest problem is the ATI graphics drivers. The Catalist program says it can't find a dirver that is compaitable with the hardware or OS. I know it has ATI graphics because it came with a sticker saying so.

Thru my searchings it seams the L35-S2366 has the Radon mobilty X200m chip, but I haven't been able to open the case and confirm that. Also the ATI website does not provide that kind of detailed info on this model.

Does anyone know for sure what graphics diver is the correct one for the Toshiba Satelite L35 S2366? Or know a way to get the Catalist software to recognize the hardware?

TigerZero

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Yes, that is the diver package that I had downloaded and tried to install. But when it runs it claims it could not find dirvers compaitble for the installed hardware or operating system.

I read somewhere that the notebook/laptop manufactures had made a deal with ATI where the catalyst divers provided by ATI would not install on their products. The user was forced to get the drivers from the laptop maker. Also Toshiba told me on the phone that they made an agreement with windows where if you bought a laptop with Vista Basic Toshiba was not to provide XP dirvers for that laptop. I wonder if they put something in the bios that the ATI XP drivers look for to prevent installation on a unit that had Vista Basic

If I had another way to get the specific driver I need and not one of those packages that automaticaly decide for you which one you need, I could go thur the device manager and install the driver.

They're starting to sound more and more like Dell. I'm not sure what else you could possibly do. Try sending the user killernotebooks a PM, he'll probably be of more help than I am. I don't think there is a way to get past that BIOS issue though.

disisdkat

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007

disisdkat

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Try again - I posted but it left out what I said. The ATI L30 XP drivers work for this. What I can't get working is the audio. Toshiba should be ashamed that they put this computer out with Vista. It takes 5 minutes for a window to open!