Attempting to make custom augmented reality

Sep 12, 2018
Not sure if this is allowed in these forums, but I don't really know where else to put this.

I had an idea, after watching a video of some racecar driver driving a car whilst wearing a VR headset, with his view being from a camera attached to the back of his car, and the idea I had was, what if you had a camera inside your car (in the middle of the two front seats), so that you can still partially see your hands on the steering wheel, and that the system could be connected to your car, so that you could have a HUD of things like your RPM, current speed, etc. all relayed into a VR headset that you're wearing.

This then got me thinking, what if we could have something similar to the above examples, but instead of your car while you drive, it was attached to you, giving you the feel of "3rd person" in real life.

So with those ideas, I was wondering if anyone could help me get started either ideas on how the technical hardware side of everything would work, or even just somewhere to get started with learning how to make this an actual thing. I have no experience with hardware outside generic computer hardware (motherboards, graphics cards, CPUs etc.), so literally any help would be appreciated.

My first thought was to have a dual camera (maybe even make use of the xbox kinect camera, and somehow connect each individual lens connected to the corresponding eye view in a VR headset. But again, I don't have any hardware experience and just want to have an idea of where to even begin just messing with things like this.

Solution
Here in the UK, some insurance companies provide most of those facilities to people who allow it in return from lower premium costs. It's reckoned that people drive more carefully and slowly when they're being surveilled all the time they're driving. The speed, rev count and steadiness of steering, etc are all recorded along with hours of footage which I believem phones home to the Company.

I personally find it intrusive but so-called dashcams are useful when a dangerous driver can be arrested on teh evidence of someone else's car so it might be a life-saver.
Here in the UK, some insurance companies provide most of those facilities to people who allow it in return from lower premium costs. It's reckoned that people drive more carefully and slowly when they're being surveilled all the time they're driving. The speed, rev count and steadiness of steering, etc are all recorded along with hours of footage which I believem phones home to the Company.

I personally find it intrusive but so-called dashcams are useful when a dangerous driver can be arrested on teh evidence of someone else's car so it might be a life-saver.

Solution