Apple's mixed reality headset is a make-or-break moment for VR and AR

Jun 5, 2023
Uhhhhh 3500 bucks? I’ll pass. Wait a ear or so and buy for a lot less.

Apple is going a different direction than Meta, it's a headset you wear for work giving you a massive virtual display seamlessly linked to your phone and computer, making it easy to run existing apps and do existing workflows more productively while still interacting with people in the room.

It remains to be seen how well they pulled it off, but this is the kind of application that's going to make a lot of sales if they did. Obviously a lot more when new versions are able to bring the cost down closer to $1,000. But creative professionals who are already spending thousands on 5k and 6k displays and the fastest possible production computers won't blink at $3,500 if it improves their productivity.

Jun 5, 2023
Apple is going a different direction than Meta, it's a headset you wear for work giving you a massive virtual display seamlessly linked to your phone and computer, making it easy to run existing apps and do existing workflows more productively while still interacting with people in the room.

It remains to be seen how well they pulled it off, but this is the kind of application that's going to make a lot of sales if they did. Obviously a lot more when new versions are able to bring the cost down closer to $1,000. But creative professionals who are already spending thousands on 5k and 6k displays and the fastest possible production computers won't blink at $3,500 if it improves their productivity.
No offense but you don't understand these things. Nobody (and I mean NO body) will wear a $3500 scuba mask, squeezing and heating your face, instead of looking at a crisp monitor in open air. Apple is marketing this thing as a new AR device which looks to expand what the iPad currently does. For $1000 - $1200 it would be a well interesting piece of kit that might have some adoption, but as a $3500 curiosity... I just cannot see this being adopted by casual apple or even VR fans. Meta just announced their new, smaller, augmented/virtual reality headset for $500 - avail in Sept. It has a current large, AV/VR/Fitness/Productivity/Gaming footprint already. How apple manages to sell this new uber-expensive headset remains to be seen.

Jun 5, 2023
You don't s
No offense but you don't understand these things. Nobody (and I mean NO body) will wear a $3500 scuba mask, squeezing and heating your face, instead of looking at a crisp monitor in open air. Apple is marketing this thing as a new AR device which looks to expand what the iPad currently does. For $1000 - $1200 it would be a well interesting piece of kit that might have some adoption, but as a $3500 curiosity... I just cannot see this being adopted by casual apple or even VR fans. Meta just announced their new, smaller, augmented/virtual reality headset for $500 - avail in Sept. It has a current large, AV/VR/Fitness/Productivity/Gaming footprint already. How apple manages to sell this new uber-expensive headset remains to be seen.
Apple clearly spent a lot of effort to make this headset comfortable, and they clearly think its going to be, otherwise they wouldn't be spending hundreds of millions launching it, they'd just take another year or two to get it right. This is what Apple does, like when Jobs canceled the iPad after years of work because it wasn't good enough. They'll take their time until its truly ready.

So since they are releasing it now, you can bet it's ready. Meta's toy headsets will never be used in the office or for real work, Apple is targeting an entirely different market and they know a lot more about it than you.