Audio Cable Recommendations?

enzodubois

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
I’ve read some good reviews about TARA Labs new Evolution cables on whatsbestforum. I’m getting ready to purchase some new components, as well as interconnects. Any word on these new cables? I’m also looking at a Weiss DAC 202 to purchase? I would appreciate any comments on this?

kanewolf

Judicious
You are obviously buying in a WAY higher price than I could comment on... I am pretty sure that my ears and non-optimized room would not identify much difference between them and 12 gauge OFC speaker wires ...

I would suggest that you get your system together first before you make an investment in the quality of cables you would want, All the components when new should be broken in and you should become familiar with the sound before trying cables. It is not just a matter of price. You want to use the cables to steer the system in the right direction for your situation and taste. Your dealer may have some used cables you can start with and when you are ready you should upgrade one at a time. Speaker cable is usually the best starting point.

enzodubois

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014

Americanaudiophile: You are right about waiting before investing 80,000 GBP into cables. But in order to get your system together you will need some good cables anyway. Are you seriously going to start with English cables from QED. ?
The single most important part of an audio system is the loudspeaker / room interface. Then the power amplifiers and electronics are very important… but when you find yourself faced with an interconnect that sounds better than DAC (a) ... What do you do? What I try to do is to integrate the best, most reasonably priced cables into my system and go from there.

terry4536

Distinguished
Herald
Mar 28, 2010
Mediabridge makes some excellent cables. Cables to go is another good quality brand of cables.

The Mediabridge cables are available at Amazon.com. They have a great quality for the value..

kanewolf

Judicious

That is a great page.

But they seem to say my green magic marker on the edge of all my CDs doesn't do anything :D

What is next ... my sand filled speaker stands ... Oh wait, I think those are actually pretty good to keep the speakers from getting knocked over.

When I read the original post, I didn't take it too seriously. This is one of those situations like when Stereo Review used to do their annual issue which listed everything made. I always used to go through each category and look for the most expensive item. And then go "What makes that worth $82,600!!!"