Audio crackling on newly built computer

funkyfrosty

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
A few weeks ago I built my first computer. My problem is that there is a slight crackling maybe every 10-30 seconds when watching youtube or generally anything with any audio. I have installed drivers from asus and using the update drivers button in windows but that didnt help. The crackling is the worst if I rapidly click the volume control slider from the taskbar. I have confirmed it is not due to headphones by using multiple pairs of earbuds/headphones. I'm at a loss for what to do here.

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Sounds like a EMI issue, once I had to solve that problem on a computer, it was the GPU causing EMI to the integrated sound card, solution in that case was moving the GPU to a another PCI-E slot away from the chipset.

See if the crackling gets worse on 3d applications (use a headset to be able to detect it more clearly) if it happens it's the GPU, if not it could be a grounding issue in your case.

funkyfrosty

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
From what I can tell there is only two places to put my r9 270 on my m5a97 r2.0 motherboard and when I originally put it in the first slot the computer started fine however no video was displayed. Also what does it mean to have a grounding issue I do think I remember losing a screw somewhere in my case.

funkyfrosty

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Through much searching i figured out I had high DPC latency which I believe was fixed by installing new chipset drivers.
edit: the problem still persists but I know it has something to do with dpc latency