Audio/mic combo jack doesn't recognize earphones when connected.

JustDewIt

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
I just bought a new laptop with a audio/mic combo jack. I've been trying to use my monitoring earphones through the port but it doesn't recognize the earphones. I already tried using other pair of earbuds but it's the same result but when I tried using an old pair of headset (ones that have seperate jacks for audio and mic) and inserted the audio jack it worked. How can I make my earphones work just like the headset?

Solution
It should not need a splitter. It sounds like the jack itself is the problem. So many new laptops and their combo jacks are becoming a problem. Does the jack work with a mic?

I ask because the more common problem seen has been mics don't work, but headsets do. I am wondering, however, if in your case it is the reverse.
Try this...

1. Plug in your headphones.
2. Go to "Control Panel" and then click on "Sound".
3. Right-click on the headphones option listed and then click "Set as Default Device".

Now when you plug them in, they should be the default sounds, and when you unplug them, it should go back to your speakers.

JustDewIt

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

Already tried doing this. The problem is the laptop is not detecting the earphones that I have been using. Do I need to use a splitter cable?

It should not need a splitter. It sounds like the jack itself is the problem. So many new laptops and their combo jacks are becoming a problem. Does the jack work with a mic?

I ask because the more common problem seen has been mics don't work, but headsets do. I am wondering, however, if in your case it is the reverse.

Solution