Audio not playing from TV to blu ray

Critzn

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Hi

I just bought a new TV (Samsung 6400) and tried connecting it to my home theater system (samsung 5500k).

Previously this has worked with another TV using RCA cables however this TV does not have output for RCA only input so I went and bought optical.

After connecting both via optical, I can't hear sound out the blu ray. When I set the tv to receiver and change the volume, I can see it changing on both the tv and blu ray but can't hear anything.

If i select the tv button on the remote (blu ray) to toggle between tv sound and surround sound, the message shows "tv sound off" but it plays on the tv and the settings back to TV as output. Then when switched to "TV sound on", silence.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Solution
The optical cable is to get sound out of the TV into your HTS. This is not affected by the TV volume control so you have to use the HTS volume control. Your old hookup might have been different in this respect.
I assume you have the HTS connected via HDMI to the TV to get picture from the HTS into the TV. So from now on you will select the optical input of the HTS for sound from the TV and the Blueray for sound from the disc.
You can turn the volume all the way down on the TV or turn the internal speakers off in the TV menu if you don't want to use them at all.
The optical cable is to get sound out of the TV into your HTS. This is not affected by the TV volume control so you have to use the HTS volume control. Your old hookup might have been different in this respect.
I assume you have the HTS connected via HDMI to the TV to get picture from the HTS into the TV. So from now on you will select the optical input of the HTS for sound from the TV and the Blueray for sound from the disc.
You can turn the volume all the way down on the TV or turn the internal speakers off in the TV menu if you don't want to use them at all.

Solution
You didnt actually need an optical cable as that TV has a mini headphone jack - a 3.5mm to stereo rca would have done the job & worked the same as your old TV.

Quick perusal of the manual shows
this info.
For TV source Audio through the surround receiver press the function button until D.In shows on receiver panel - should play TV audio.

If you're still having problems then I would suggest disabling the Anynet Hdmi-cec option on both the TV & the surround sound reciever- this option can be useful but is ultimately very very confusing for some people especially when you have a matching TV/receiver setup when the remote controls are capable of operating either/both systems.