Audio problem setting up new smart TV.

adk44

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I have been setting up my new smart TV (LG 42ln5700) and have run into a problem regarding audio emanating from my apps and my Sony sound bar.

After I set up the Pandora app, I played it. The sound would not come through my sound bar, but would come through the LG TV's speakers. I set up YouTube and Netflix and had the same result, sound would only come through the TV's speakers.

My sound bar works fine with "regular TV" and with my blu ray player.

My system consists of my TV, a Sony sound bar, a Samsung blu ray player, and a Samsung HD cable box provided by Time Warner. I have only one HDMI cord going into my TV.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

Solution
Since you say you only have one HDMI cable going to the TV I will assume that the HD cable box and bluray connect to the soundbar with HDMI and you then feed the TV with the HDMI out of the soundbar.
Unless the soundbar and TV have ARC (audio return channel) you would need to run an optical audio cable from the TV to the soundbar to get sound from the internal app in the TV.
Since you say you only have one HDMI cable going to the TV I will assume that the HD cable box and bluray connect to the soundbar with HDMI and you then feed the TV with the HDMI out of the soundbar.
Unless the soundbar and TV have ARC (audio return channel) you would need to run an optical audio cable from the TV to the soundbar to get sound from the internal app in the TV.

Solution

adk44

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

adk44

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Yes, your assumption is correct.

I have the power cord and two cables going into my sound bar's sub woofer which I believe are connected to my cable box and blu ray. A fourth cable is my HDMI cable which goes into the TV.

So, after I attain and plug this cable in, are there any cables I should unplug?

adk44

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Optical cable attained and plugged in, setting changed from "TV Speakers" to "External Speaker", no sound yet from Smart TV to sound bar. Still have good sound when on cable.

Is there one more step I'm supposed to do? Could my new TV be too advanced for my Sony sound bar?

adk44

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks everyone for reading and replying. I finally figured out what lastly had to be done, I had to switch my sound bar from SAT to TV when in Smart TV mode. Learn things everyday.

BLACKSRT

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM TOO. I HAVE AN OLD VCR DVD COMBO AND THE ONLY THING WITH HDMI IS THE LG TV AND CABLE BOX. I CAN'T HEAR NETFLIX THROUGH HOME THEATER. HOW SHOULD I CONNECT THIS?

ejohn90472

Estimable
Apr 20, 2014
adk44:

I had same Samsung problem with Netflex. My Solution was to go to Radio Shack and purchase a optical audio cable. I plugged the optical audio cable into back of TV then into Receiver. My Problem Solved. Way to Go Radio Shack!