Audio setup changes

codeman20400

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I've got a set of logitech z506 speakers hooked up to my pc, and now i'd like to hook the digital output from my tv (coaxial audio) or my xbox one (optical) to my pc...does anyone know of a usb option or something to use to preserve 5.1 audio instead of the 3.5mm jack?

Solution
i wouldnt hold my breath on the win10 streaming. from what i read i know it works for music, movies and similar but not so sure if it has a feature to stream while you are gaming. you could read up on it as i just posted it because i thought it be worth looking into to see what they will and will not end up supporting.

for the xbo i'd likely still use a hdmi audio extractor. its a tried and true method and hdmi audio would be uncompressed.

the trouble is not getting surround from all sources, thats the easy part. the problem is that you want 5.1 input into your pc. if you can live without the input into your pc so you can control the volume via software (or whatever you plan to do) and just hook the z506 up directly (through an audio...
you would be better off connecting those sources up to the z906 directly.

if your tv or console supports compressed 5.1 audio over optical just connect up via optical which would certainly be the easiest solution. if they do not, at least for the console you could use a 5.1 hdmi audio extractor but this would not work for the tv.

codeman20400

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
problem with doing it that way is, the z506 doesn't have an optical input, only 3 3.5mm jacks for surround and 2 rcas for stereo...it's not an avr, unfortunately, and the room is too small for anything more robust

oh z506 not z906. sorry it was late when i replied and i saw "906". sorry for the confusion.

in that case you do need to use 3.5mm for audio. you should be able to get 5.1 out of your console by using a 5.1 audio extractor which has output ports for all channels (you need to use rca to 3.5mm adapters) the output ports of those look like http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81azeYsWLqL._SY355_.jpg and are available with hdmi in, analog audio out and a hdmi out which is used for passthrough video to the tv/monitor.

as for audio from the tv.. if it has hdmi (arc) support you might be able to use an extractor like above that also lists hdmi arc support and get by with the same device but i'm not as sure this is going to work. i am sure that you can at least get 5.1 out of your console.

codeman20400

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
that would work, would there be any option to run it through the pc, to allow volume control, or is that just a bit too far out of reach? (i also failed to mention that i have a secondary subwoofer that is hooked to the pc, and it's more intense than the z506's sub)

the problem is getting a 5.1 signal into the pc as an input.

a stereo input is easy, almost any motherboard and soundcard has that.

i know some older cards like the auzen prelude and sb xfi platinum used to have compressed DD 5.1 support over optical input but they are all no longer manufactured. you might be able to find an audio interface with 5.1 support that hooks up to pc but you will cry at the prices.

windows 10 announced streaming from xbo to pc support recently however likely there will be lag if its over-network.

--

how do you have your second sub setup currently? you could just use a splitter on the 3.5mm c/sub input to push a sub signal to both subs.

codeman20400

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
that's how the second sub is hooked up right now, with the 3.5mm splitter...assuming windows 10 from xbox one will send 5.1 over network, that's the main issue out of the way, but otherwise, i'm more or less SOL with software volume control and will have to get a audio processor unit (hopefully one smaller than say, a laptop) to have surround sound from both sources. sound about right?

i wouldnt hold my breath on the win10 streaming. from what i read i know it works for music, movies and similar but not so sure if it has a feature to stream while you are gaming. you could read up on it as i just posted it because i thought it be worth looking into to see what they will and will not end up supporting.

for the xbo i'd likely still use a hdmi audio extractor. its a tried and true method and hdmi audio would be uncompressed.

the trouble is not getting surround from all sources, thats the easy part. the problem is that you want 5.1 input into your pc. if you can live without the input into your pc so you can control the volume via software (or whatever you plan to do) and just hook the z506 up directly (through an audio extractor) you'll have alot easier time of it!

the xbo part is easy, lets concentrate on how to get 5.1 from your tv.

-provided your tv and xbo both support 5.1 out of the optical ports you could always get an audio extractor which has spdif input like http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Audio-Digital-Decoder-Converter/dp/B00AMC2J1Y (READ: verify it supports true 5.1 input and doesnt upconvert, the text reads funny in their description) and connect both non pc sources up to it. hdmi would be a bit better for uncompressed audio though.

-if your tv supports arc, they do make extractors which are arc compatible so you may be able to pull audio that way (check your tv)

Solution

codeman20400

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
i looked at that unit, and it does have the right inputs that i'd need, although the reviews have me a little put off...my tv doesn't have arc, but it has a coaxial audio out, and both the xbox and my pc have optical and hdmi outputs as well...i guess i can live without the software volume control, although have you come across any units similar to the one you posted? i'd like to find one with less critical reviews noting the same issues if i can. thanks for the help, btw

i would use optical (and the adapter) for your xbo and tv only if it were me.. keep connected to the pc via 3.5mm analog. less issues to worry about that way and better quality audio but do what you wish - technically you could hook all three up via optical if you so wanted (hope your motherboard supports 5.1 over optical or its going to be problems there too).

just do a search for 5.1 audio extractors which have optical spdif inputs.

as long as your tv supports 5.1 over optical you shouldnt have any issues. if it doesnt, you will at least get 2.0 sound on the tv and 5.1 from pc and xbo (and not much you can do about that).

codeman20400

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
i think i'm going to try out one of the devices you posted and see how they work with all three inputs populated...i'll post back with the (hopefully good) results...thanks for the help with my honestly ridiculous setup.